× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN312 fails to come back up after update to 6.10.0

dsnpevl
Virtuoso

RN312 fails to come back up after update to 6.10.0

Just tried to updated RN312 to 6.10.0 via normal procedure (click button in pop-up on admin page). The new firmware was downloaded and I clicked the button to reboot on the second pop-up in the admin page. The RN312 doesn't come back up. The power indicator flashes (blue). Connection to the server is no longer possible, neither trough a browser or terminal software (Putty). I've waited for about an hour, but still nothing happens. Any suggestions on what is the issue and how to proceed?

Model: RN31223D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

After waiting for over 2 hours, I decided that the update wasn't going to proceed succesfully. Not sure what is considered normal update duration, but I don't remember it ever taking longer than 30 min.

Eventhough all the warning message advise against it, I took the risk to switch off the RN312. After waiting about a minute, I powered up again. Now I could log in with Putty again. After 10-15 min the admin page became available again with 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

After waiting for over 2 hours, I decided that the update wasn't going to proceed succesfully. Not sure what is considered normal update duration, but I don't remember it ever taking longer than 30 min.

Eventhough all the warning message advise against it, I took the risk to switch off the RN312. After waiting about a minute, I powered up again. Now I could log in with Putty again. After 10-15 min the admin page became available again with 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 firmware.

Message 2 of 6

So with the large number of people writing posts about the new firmware (which has **bleep**ed my server too).

Can netgear provide an official help guide to how to fix the problem?

I'm using a RN314.

Message 3 of 6
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Update procedure for 6.10.0 on RN516 worked without issues and completed in about 25 min.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 4 of 6
datahardy
Aspirant

I did an upgrade to 6.10.0, too. System does not complete bootprocess. Hangs at 89% to 99% showing mysql.service. Is there a way to circumvine starting of mysql? Istn't there a timeout for failing units, especially since I do not use mysqld on the system.

Would be great if an netgear official could sddress the issue.

KInd regards

datahardy

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 6
datahardy
Aspirant

Well, in the meantime I learned that the display shows the last unit started successfully.

Fortunately I had ssh still activated. I used systemctl to check the status of smb. what showed not active. systemctl start smb hung up, so I did a reboot (cli) after a while. After that the device accomplished the boot process and showed up the UI. It should be mentioned that I disconnected the external USB-Drive before reboot. So, one can not be shure, what brougt the "Kuh vom Eis", completely.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements