× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31200 shows disk full

mathy57
Follower

RN31200 shows disk full

Suddenly my Netgear Disk showing full even there is almost no files inside.Firmware 6.2.4, Model NAS31200

I saw several discussion about this. But I could not get any solution for this specific problem

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN31200 shows disk full

@mathy57 wrote:

Firmware 6.2.4, Model NAS31200

Why are you still running 6.2.4? (2015 firmware).

@mathy57 wrote:

But I could not get any solution for this specific problem

Start by backing up the NAS, as the data is at risk.

Do you have SMART snapshots enabled on the NAS?  If you do, then I suggest

• determining a reasonable retention date (I use three months myself, but you could go longer).
  • delete all snapshots in all the shares that are older than the retention date
  • wait a bit and see if free space improves on its own

If it doesn't (or if you don't use snapshots), then try running a balance.  On current firmware you can run that directly from the settings wheel on the volume tab - not sure if you can do that with 6.2.4 or not.  If it's not there, you'll need to schedule the balance using the maintenence schedule you'll see on the volume settings wheel.

After this is sorted, I suggest upgrading to current firmware.

If you are using SMART snapshots, the problem will eventually recur - because monthly snapshots are retained forever.  So after you upgrade firmware, switch to Custom snapshots and explicitly set retention.  I also suggest setting them so they only make snapshorts on changes.  Note Custom snapshots weren't available in 6.2.4, so you do need to upgrade the firmware in order to do this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements