× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 CPU Temperature

gpaolo
Luminary

RN314 CPU Temperature

Hi all,

I have the feeling that my RN314 has some problem with the CPU heatsink. Temperature is constanly over 65 degrees, with the fan quite noisy. As soon as it does something, the temperature goes up to 76-77C and the fan sounds like a jet taking off. 

Room temperature is about 21 degrees, hard drives are quite cool, at 30-34C, as well as the system temperature. 

Is there any guide to open it and check if the heatsink is properly installed and eventually to change the thermal paste? It seems to me that it's not cooling well...

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

hi @gpaolo

If your NAS is under five years, I would recommend contacting NETGEAR Support to request for RMA. Otherwise, I would suggest to patiently wait for any recommendations from our community members especially those who have tried opening the RN314. As with NETGEAR, it does not support that procedure and voids the hardware warranty.

Regads

Message 2 of 6
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi Marc,

thank you for your reply. The NAS is less than 5 years old, but it is a beta unit, I don't know if it is covered by the warranty. Me, and other users, noticed these high temperatures during the beta program, but I have never seen a clear statement saying "it's ok, don't worry" or "it should be lower, maybe something is wrong with the heatsink". Of course at that time there were not many users to compare the results...

Before opening it, maybe some other user with the same unit could check what is the temperature status in their units? It might be a design choice, after all.

Regards,

Gian Paolo

Message 3 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gpaolo

If it's a BETA unit hardware warranty might not be included, was it provided by NETGEAR? I think it wouldn't hurt if you try.

Under the manual, acceptable environment temperature is at 0-40C, the NAS CPU should at least be running around 38-50C and fans will adjust accordingly to maintain adequate temperature. If your CPU is running at room temperature of 21C and fans running at full speed, it should at least lower the CPU temp to 60C which I think is acceptable and would be fine.

I hope other RN314 owners can share their unit temperature status.

Regards

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I suggest PMing @Skywalker since it is a beta unit.  My understanding is that beta units are not covered by warranty.

Message 5 of 6
gpaolo
Luminary

Yes, it makes sense to me. I would be surprise if they were covered by warranty.

I will send a message to Skywalker, thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements