× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 OS 6.8.1 - Win10 Pro 64-bit Fall Creator 1709 - Can't access Shares

evan2
NETGEAR Expert

the root cause is Win10 1709 doesn't allow access SAMBA using guest accout,

it try to access NAS using windows login account and password,

if you add a same account on NAS, you may access NAS, and you will find it login using the windows login account,

6.9.2 T build has fixed the issue.

if not all shares disable guest access, set "map to guest = bad user" in smb config,

if all shares disale guest access, set "map to guest = never" in smb config.

Note: if set "map to guest = never", Windows will pop-up login page to let user input user name and password,

Win10 1709 want to access NAS via Samba, 

all shares need to disable guest access on NAS. 

Message 26 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@evan2 wrote:

Win10 1709 want to access NAS via Samba, 

all shares need to disable guest access on NAS. 

Using credentials on all the windows systems works too, and would allow SMB guest access for other devices (older media players for instance).

Message 27 of 44
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There are a couple other ways to get this working on <= 6.9.1 without touching Windows group policies.

1) Create a user account on the NAS that matches the name of the user that you're logged in to Windows as.  So, if your Windows account name is stephenb, create a NAS user account named stephenb.

2) Change the SMB3 Transport Encryption option to Required.  (However, this will have a major performance impact on RN31x and lower desktop models)

Message 28 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@Skywalker wrote:

1) Create a user account on the NAS that matches the name of the user that you're logged in to Windows as.  So, if your Windows account name is stephenb, create a NAS user account named stephenb.

Yes, as long as you also match the passwords across the machines.

@Skywalker wrote:

2) Change the SMB3 Transport Encryption option to Required.  (However, this will have a major performance impact on RN31x and lower desktop models)

Also, some older devices accessing the NAS might not support SMB3.  If you have that situation (and I do), those devices will no longer have access.

Though of course you will have better security with SMB3 and transport encryption.

Message 29 of 44
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@StephenB wrote:

@Skywalker wrote:

Yes, as long as you also match the passwords across the machines.

No, that's not necessary.  The account just needs to exist so it won't fall back to guest authentication.

Message 30 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@Skywalker wrote:

No, that's not necessary.  The account just needs to exist so it won't fall back to guest authentication.

I guess it depends on whether you simply want to prevent guest access, or if you also want to prevent the prompt for the network password.

Message 31 of 44
hksscom
Apprentice

I found that a brand-new computer I received recently running Windows 10 Pro was prompted for authentication when accessing the NAS -- the same behavior as to prior Microsoft making the SMB change, whereas the computers that were upgraded to the Fall Creator update continued to be denied without any authentication prompt.

I may re-install all my machines anyway and see what happens, but I wanted to point that out.

Also of note may be that I am now running ReadyNAS OS 6.9.1.

Message 32 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@hksscom wrote:

I found that a brand-new computer I received recently running Windows 10 Pro was prompted for authentication when accessing the NAS -- the same behavior as to prior Microsoft making the SMB change, whereas the computers that were upgraded to the Fall Creator update continued to be denied without any authentication prompt.

All my Win10 systems were updated to Fall Creator update, and they all can access my NAS shares on an RN526x running 6.9.1.

The NAS shares allow full access (including guest), but all the systems are using NAS admin credentials (added with the Windows Credential Manager).

How does this compare with your setup?

Message 33 of 44
hksscom
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

All my shares are locked down to NAS-specific accounts (some open to Everyone), and 1 share (iStat) is open to Anonymous.

All shares ARE accessible if you map the drives on the affected systems, but my goal was to restore the behavior prior to the SMB change where any guest coming to our home could log in with a limited account to access specific shares. Currently, the affected systems simply provide an error message without prompting for authentication. A workaround is to map a drive, access one of the shares, then unmap the drive, and it would now work until the next reboot.

I also confirmed that TWO new systems are able to access the NAS by going to \\nas, and upon clicking one of the shares, getting prompted for auth. So, this tells me that the issue is only on a couple of my affected systems that were upgraded to the FC update, and if I remember right, 1 that was upgraded does not have the issue.

My solution at this time is to reformat the affected systems and see what happens. I have been meaning to change them out to Windows Server OS anyway.

Message 34 of 44
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow.....okay I am updating a few of my home PC's to Windows Creator edition in a week or so. My Rn104 shares are all accessed from windows via a NAS specific username and password. Once entered once, shares are accessible via NAS name or IP address everywhere in windows with no additional login prompts. It works fine.
My home Windows install has NO password... I don't even login to a Microsoft account. Just a local name and no password.

When I upgrade to creators edition am I going to have these issues with my NAS? Do i intrpret these posts correctly that a NAS firmware update resolves the issue?
Thanks,
BJB

Message 35 of 44
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@BJB wrote:
My home Windows install has NO password... I don't even login to a Microsoft account. Just a local name and no password.

When I upgrade to creators edition am I going to have these issues with my NAS? Do i intrpret these posts correctly that a NAS firmware update resolves the issue?
Thanks,
BJB

The easiest thing to do is to just create a user account on the NAS that matches the local name that you use on Windows.

Message 36 of 44
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I probably should know this but I only set this up once and don't mess with shares....if I setup a new user do I have to change any shares settings or security?

My Minix sees my shares just fine and don't want to mess that up just for windows..
Thanks,

BJB
Message 37 of 44
StephenB
Guru

I'm running Fall Creator and have no issues with 6.9.1.

If you create a windows credential (in the windows credential manager), you'll be able to access the NAS with no problem.  I use the NAS admin account, but you can also create a user account on the NAS for this purpose.  You can set up one credential using the IP address and a second one using the NAS host name.

Non-windows devices (for instance your Minix system) will continue to access the NAS shares just like they do now.  You won't need to change the share permissions as long as the NAS account you use in the credentials has access.

Message 38 of 44
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen,
Thanks. Will research how to do that.
Bill
Message 39 of 44
StephenB
Guru

Message 40 of 44
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!  When I upgrade my old NAS from 6.61 to 6.91 (hope that is okay to go direct) and my Windows to Creators edition, I will add the credentials.

BJB

Message 41 of 44
chopin70
Virtuoso

I am also affected under Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 and my RN524X

Shouldn't windows 10 be responsible also on fixing this b always asking for credentials while proposing a guest access on the same prompt ?

Seems like a story of Windows wants to change Linux talking way. They impose banning of SMB servers that propose a guest access!

The MS knowledge shows this is a windows by design thing, that won't be addressed by Microsoft for "security reasons"

Anyway, waiting for 6.9.2 that should fix it

Many thanks for all the informations

Message 42 of 44
David_Smith
Aspirant

Hello everyone, I am having the same issue except with an older ReadyNAS NV+ unit running 4.1.13. I am able to connect with an old computer I have that runs Vista (no jokes please, it's just a garbage PC :-D). I am also able to connect to my newer RN51600 with no issues.

However I am unable to connect to the older NAS NV+ unit using Windows 10 OR Solid Explorer on Android. If I use command prompt to connect I get this message: 

[quote]You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher.[/quote]

I have tried creating a NAS user that matches my Windows login, as well as creating a Windows credential. Neither accomplishes anything. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Message 43 of 44
Sandshark
Sensei

Adding an unrelated problem to an existing thread is frowned upon.  Your error message is telling you exactly what the problem is and a little Googling should have given you an answer.  The latest Win10 update disabled SMB1, and your older NAS does not support SMB2 or SMB3.  You can turn SMB1 back on as follows: Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check or uncheck the box for "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"  Note, however, that SMB1 is considered not secure (as your error message says) and enabling it is not recommended if you have anything on your network exposed to the internet (via an incoming port, not just that you can access the internet).

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements