× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 Performance Issues

SimonM1
Aspirant

RN314 Performance Issues

Hi all,

I've had a ReadyNAS 314 for about 5 months and have never had any problems to speak of, but lately (the past 3-4 weeks) I've been having noticeable performance problems with it... File access "seems" slow (I've not actually timed it although it's not "terrible" - you'd probably call it "sluggish") and the Web UI will often report "Device is Offline" when I try to log in. On the occasions I can log in OK, it's not uncommon for some elements of the UI to not load.

The configuration of the device as far as I can remember is (I can't log in at the moment to check):

Firmware: 6.2.4

HDD: 3 * WD RED WD40EFRX

RAID Config: Flex-Raid with 8 shares (All 8 have CIFS enabled, but 3 have DLNA and 1 has FTP)

Anti-Virus: Disabled

Apps Installed: Antivirus Plus & SMB Plus

I have about 1.3TB of free space available so it's over 80% full, but my old ReadyNAS NV+ was well over 90% full at times and didn't exhibit the same issue....

I'd be grateful for any suggestions about possible causes/fixes as I'm keen to avoid a factory default on it, but I can't think of much else to try...

Many thanks,

Simon

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN314 Performance Issues

Hello SimonM1,

Do you have any ISCSI configured on the NAS? Backup Job and 3rd party backup on computers pointing to the NAS as destination?

May we also ask if all LAN machines get this same problem when connecting to the NAS?

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is a good idea to start with the disk health (smart logs) when you see performance issues.

Can you measure the speed with Nastester? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Have you run the balance and defrag maintenance tools?  Also, it might help to delete unneeded snapshots before balancing/defragging.

Message 2 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SimonM1,

Do you have any ISCSI configured on the NAS? Backup Job and 3rd party backup on computers pointing to the NAS as destination?

May we also ask if all LAN machines get this same problem when connecting to the NAS?

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
SimonM1
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB!

I have checked the SMART logs and all three disks seem fine, although I haven't deleted any snaphots or defragged the system since I set it up so I'll give that a go as soon as I can get into the UI....

Simon

Message 4 of 7
SimonM1
Aspirant

Hi JennC!

Yes - all machines on the LAN experience the same issues, both in terms of sluggish CIFS performance and inability to reliably load the UI. I have 2 machines on the LAN setup to use Windows File History, storing a copy of files to one of the CIFS shares, although both of these have been setup since day 1 so I'm reasonably confident that these aren't the root of the problem (unless a Windows update has changed something I don't know about)...

The 314 NAS does have a number of local backup jobs which copy data to my old NAS (NV+) which I'm using as a backup at the moment, but these jobs are scheduled to run overnight (about 3am) and seem to complete regularly and are always finished by 9am....

Thanks,

Simon

Message 5 of 7
SimonM1
Aspirant

Quick update - I think the problem is now sorted - thankyou for all your help!

I rebooted the NAS (which took over 3 hrs) before balancing and defragging the disks as suggested. While these jobs were running an error message popped up warning me that one of the local backup jobs had failed which was really odd since all of the jobs were previously marked "Complete" and shouldn't have been running. Sure enough, one of them is now marked "Failed" so I have disabled it and I can only assume that it has become corrupt in some way and way utilising a lot of resource from the NAS causing the slowness... The NAS now seems to be running fine, but I'll keep an eye on it before deleting and re-creating the local backup jobs....

Simon

Message 6 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SimonM1,

Sorry for not being able to get back to you to check on your answers to my question as I have been a away for few days.

We are pleased to know it is now working normal as it should and you have narrowed down the causes of the slowness.

Please feel free to seek help through our community. You may also take advantage of your free support from our Support center.

Have a great day ahead!

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements