× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 - Removed a 2TB drive, added a 4TB one, and my storage is the same???

dreistreifen
Aspirant

RN314 - Removed a 2TB drive, added a 4TB one, and my storage is the same???

Hi folks,

I currently have a ReadyNas 314 which has been running away happily with 4 x 2TB drives using RAID 5 ever since I first purchased it. Over time, it was slowly running out of space and so I purchased a couple of 4TB drives so I could expand the storage and give my system a bit more breathing space.

Yesterday evening I hot swapped the first drive in my bay and added the new 4TB and left it to do it's thing as it slowly synchronised with the other disks as I headed for bed.

However, I've found that even though it recognises the newly installed disk as 4TB there is NO increases in the available space???

I've tried reading up all I can, rebooting the device, and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference?

I have one more 4TB disk to install and worried that I have wasted money on these for no reason!

I've attached a screenshot of my current system.

Can anyone help with this issue? What's going on?

RN314_2.png

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 - Removed a 2TB drive, added a 4TB one, and my storage is the same???

@dreistreifen wrote:

However, I've found that even though it recognises the newly installed disk as 4TB there is NO increases in the available space???

Correct - that is normal.  Upgrade the second drive (making sure the sync is finished first), and the volume will then expand to 6 TB (5.45 TiB) to 8 TB (7.27 TiB).

The capacity rule for single reduncancy XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest", so upgrading just one doesn't give you more space.

Message 2 of 3
dreistreifen
Aspirant

Re: RN314 - Removed a 2TB drive, added a 4TB one, and my storage is the same???

Thanks for the reply.

I'll proceed as planned with the other disk now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements