× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 - Server slows substantially and cannot log in to Admin - Log file stops logging 2 days earlie

Tech415
Aspirant

RN314 - Server slows substantially and cannot log in to Admin - Log file stops logging 2 days earlie

Using latest firmware. 6.9.5. RN314. 4 drives. 3TB. System is about 5 years old now. I am only at about 50% capacity for space used. Recently, the NAS will slow down substantially, so much so that I cannot log in to the Admin portal remotely to check on it or to restart it. But the NAS drive is still functioning and I can access files, albeit very slowly. It gets so slow, that I have to restart it using the Power button (3 times). After the unit is restarted, it performs fine for about 7-8 days in which time it starts slowing down again. The logs will show all activity from startup till about 7 days in. Then the log entries stop. But the NAS keeps running, but slowly. The activity light on the front of the NAS is very active. After restart, the log entries show the restart and all entries from startup until they stop again about 7 days later. My log file has almost 18,000 entries from initial install. No idea what is happening.

Model: RN31443E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Tech415
Aspirant

Re: RN314 - Server slows substantially and cannot log in to Admin - Log file stops logging 2 days ea

On May 22, i restarted the NAS drive and reenabled the Anti-Virus. 2 days later, the logging stopped. 7 days after the restart, the system became slow again. I restarted the server, and the logging has started up again. I am going to disable the A/V again, probably permanently. I seem to have 2 outstanding issues thay may not be solvable: 1. Anti-Virus seems to impact system performance substantially; 2. I cannot download logs.

For now, I can live with this. Maybe in a couple more years, I will buy a bigger rack-mount system.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 23

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 - Server slows substantially and cannot log in to Admin - Log file stops logging 2 days ea

What apps and services are you running?

Have you checked the disk health?  Look in disk_info.log.

Message 2 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

No special apps. We just use it as a basic File Server.

SMB Plus, and a single file share: Documents.

Services: SMB, UPnP, Http, Https, Antivirus, File Search.

I tried downloading the logs remotely. - No luck. I will try a local download.

I am not sure how to access the Disk_info.log but there are no errors about disk health and the status shows all as good.

We do run regular disk maintenance on a monthly or quarterly basis. (Frag, bit-rot, etc.)

Message 3 of 23
Hopchen
Prodigy

Yup, could be a disk acting up.

If you want @Tech415, I can take a look at the logs for you.

Download the logs from the NAS and upload to Google drive or similar. Make a link to them and PM me the link.

Cheers

Message 4 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Tech415 wrote:

I tried downloading the logs remotely. - No luck. I will try a local download.

I am not sure how to access the Disk_info.log

It's in the log zip file.  So after you download the zip from the admin web ui (or RAIDar), just extract it (other otherwise view it) from the zip.

Reallocated sectors, pending sectors and uncorrected errors are the most critical stats.  ATA errors and CMD timeouts are also concerning.  You can post the stats here (perhaps redacting the drive serial number). 

There are perhaps other clues in the rest of the logs, so I do suggest taking @Hopchen up on his offer to review them for you.  Don't post a public link to the full log zip though - instead send him a private message (PM).

@Tech415 wrote:

but there are no errors about disk health and the status shows all as good.

Unfortunately Netgear's thresholds for disk health alerts are much too high for my liking.

@Tech415 wrote:

Services: SMB, UPnP, Http, Https, Antivirus, File Search.

Likely you don't need uPnP, so you could try turning that one off.  It's very unlikely that it's related to your problem though.

I also suggest disabling Antivirus and File Search for a couple of days, and see if that makes any difference.

FWIW Antivirus has been acting up over the past few weeks.  So far I've only seen that happening (from posts here) on the RN100 series.  But if you see any alerts related to root volume usage, you should definitely turn it off.  

Message 5 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

Well, I tried downloading logs from remote UI. No Luck. I get Error: Gateway TImeout.

I tried from a local computer connected to local LAN, using Win 10, Google Chrome. Same error. It waits about 3 minutes and finally says Timeout. I cannot find any ZIP files in the downloads folder. I also tried using MS Edge, and IE.

So is the next step, connect a monitor to the HDMI port on the back of the NAS drive? I have to find a HDMI monitor. Maybe the logs are too big, or there is no room on the OS partition?

Message 6 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

I have disabled Anti-virus, and FIle Search.

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Tech415 wrote:

I have disabled Anti-virus, and FIle Search.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Message 8 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

it appears that disabling file search and Anti-Virus has made a difference. I have not seen any issues in over 7 days. Usually by now, I would have seen the problems noted previously.

Also, I was never able to download the logs no matter the methods I tried. I have not connected a monitor to the HDMI port on the back of the NAS drive yet. I need to go buy a monitor.

Any further suggestions? thanks for the help so far.

Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps try using RAIDar 6.5 to download the logs. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Are you seeing any errors in on log page about a full root volume?

Message 10 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

No, I do not see any errors on log page about a full root volume. No errors at all. Just info messages about backups and such.

Message 11 of 23
StephenB
Guru

What browser are you using to download the log zip file?  So you have any internet security software installed that might be blocking the download?

Message 12 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

Raid-Ar 6.5 was also not able to download the logs. After about 10 minutes of displaying a progress bar at 0%, a window pops up saying "Download failed".

No errors about root volume full.

Message 13 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

Browsers: Chrome, IE, MSEdge. None worked.

I disabled any security software. I don't run any but Malwarebytes and Windows 10 Windows Defender.

I also connected a monitor to the HDMI port on the back, and ran a full memory test. Zero errors. I am not sure what else I can use that monitor for. It does not seem that useful connected to the NAS.

I just turned the File Search app back on to see if that will have an impact. So far, after 4 days, no issues. A/V is still off.

Message 14 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Tech415 wrote:

Browsers: Chrome, IE, MSEdge. None worked.

Something is wrong then.

@Tech415 wrote:

I also connected a monitor to the HDMI port on the back, and ran a full memory test. Zero errors. I am not sure what else I can use that monitor for. It does not seem that useful connected to the NAS.

Can you also connect a USB keyboard?  That should give you access to the underlying linux OS.  You might need to also enable ssh in the web ui - not sure.

Message 15 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

So after 3 weeks, the NAS is running fine, leading me to the conclusion that the A/V messed up the system again. I have now turned A/V back on. I suspect it will work fine as there has been a firmware upgrade and several A/V upgrades since the issues started 2 months ago.

Yes, I can connect a USB keyboard, but unfortunately, I am not that familiar with Linux. The log issue continues to evade me. For now, I do not need the logs.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Message 16 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Tech415 wrote:

...leading me to the conclusion that the A/V messed up the system again. 

Maybe, but I don't see anything in your thread that supports that particular conclusion.  The recent flood of AV issues posted here was limited to RN100 owners - at least I didn't see any posts from someone using an RN 200 series or an x86 NAS.

Message 17 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

On May 22, i restarted the NAS drive and reenabled the Anti-Virus. 2 days later, the logging stopped. 7 days after the restart, the system became slow again. I restarted the server, and the logging has started up again. I am going to disable the A/V again, probably permanently. I seem to have 2 outstanding issues thay may not be solvable: 1. Anti-Virus seems to impact system performance substantially; 2. I cannot download logs.

For now, I can live with this. Maybe in a couple more years, I will buy a bigger rack-mount system.

Message 18 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Tech415 wrote:

2. I cannot download logs.

This one suggests that you might have a filling OS partition on the disks.  That should be taken care of, as it can result in a NAS that isn't bootable (and also it can result in corrupted configuration files).

Are you unable to download logs now that you've disabled AntiVirus?

Message 19 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

Correct. I still cannot download logs even now that the A/V has been disabled. I would love to solve the possible "overfilling" of the OS partition, but do not seem to have a way.

Message 20 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Are you able to enter linux commands to the NAS, or just monitor it from hdmi out?

You could try connecting a USB keyboard to the NAS (using the hdmi monitor out), or try enabling ssh in the admin ui.  You'd log in as root.

Message 21 of 23
Tech415
Aspirant

I have a monitor connected to the HDMI port. I will try a USB keyboard.

Message 22 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

You will only be able to log in that way if you have SSH enabled.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements