× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 - Stuck on boot following firmware update

JohnWill
Tutor

RN314 - Stuck on boot following firmware update

Following a pop up prompt from the web interface of my RN314 I updated the firmware.  It downloaded and prompted a reboot.  I clicked to reboot but after sometime it hasn't come back online - not visible in Finder (Mac user) and not pingable.  The front panel of the display is just showing boot.....

Is there anything I can do to recover this or have I lost 11TB of media?  Thanks

Edit: it showed updating FW, then is now stuck at booting 57%.  RAIDar finds it during a scan and stays stuck on 'system starting up' Firmware version is 6.10.7.  I'm not sure what version it was previously on (was a hot fix) but It won't have been particularly old as I tend to update whenever I see a newer version available.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
JohnWill
Tutor

Resolved.  It eventually came back on line.

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Since many folks rarely, if ever, power cycle their NAS, the restart after an OS update is often where problems are detected, having nothing to do with the update per se.

For it to take that long to boot, there may be issues.  I recommend you check the SMART for all drives and run a balance and scrub.  A drive test could also be a good idea.

Message 3 of 9
JohnWill
Tutor

Thanks @Sandshark .  The available space on the volume is low - below 20%.  At some point soon I'll replace one or two of the four drives with larger ones.

With regard to those actions is there a preferred order - balance then scrub or scrub then balance?  Or does it not matter?

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JohnWill wrote:

With regard to those actions is there a preferred order - balance then scrub or scrub then balance?  Or does it not matter?

Personally I'd make sure I had an up to date backup before doing either. But to answer your question, generally there is no preferred order - but in your specific case I'd do the scrub first.

Either way, download the log zip file and look for disk-related or btrfs related errors first.  

Message 5 of 9
ChrisGlynne
Initiate

I have the same issue... firmware update to latest edition appeared to go smoothly but power LED has stopped blinking but display is showing "Booting..." for the last 10 minutes. No access to web portal. Not sure what to do next.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@ChrisGlynne, there are a number of things that can cause this, and yours is likely not the same as the OP's.  A new post instead of a "me too" here will allow us to help each of you without confusing the other.

Message 7 of 9
JohnWill
Tutor

Mine was stuck on booting with 4 dots. In the end I pushed the power button on the front, once off, once on. That time it showed ‘updating FW’ briefly, then proceeded to boot only showing percent progress as well. It stuck for some time at about 59%. I was about to give up then it completed and was working normally again.
Message 8 of 9
ChrisGlynne
Initiate

After 3 hours I decided to adopt the same approach and powered off and back on... it went through a series of 'Updating FW" cycles and then came up with the progress % display which ultimately succeeded. All looks good now and no errors I could see. So maybe it just needed a power down refresh.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements