× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 & USB3.0 Dock

daKlone
Aspirant

RN314 & USB3.0 Dock

Hi All!

Does anybody know if it is possible to use a USB3.0 dock (this one, to be precise: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IS7Y96I ) with my RN314?

I'm running firmware 6.2.0 with 4x3TB disks installed and would like to "hot swap" other drives using the dock.

Any advice appreciated 🙂
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Why do you want to swap drives using a dock? What would you be using the drives in the dock for?
Message 2 of 12
daKlone
Aspirant

Nosey, aren't we? 🙂

I have a large collection of disks which have data on them that I access relatively infrequently, but when I do need access it is important that it is easy to do so. Previously I had a PC running all the time to allow this, but now I have the RN314 I was hoping that it could perform this task.
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was just wanting to know as handling disks bare you can damage them easily without realising it.
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Not sure how the NAS will handle it, but in general you need to eject the drive via software before removing it. Possibly you might need to reinsert the USB connector when you switch.

How much storage do you have? If practical it would be easier to consolidate your cold storage onto fewer drives. The new 8 TB seagate is intended for archival (though its not out quite yet). That should work with the dock, though it isn't clear if that drive is suitable for NAS enclosures, so you'd be taking some risks if you attempted to install that into the 314 chassis.

Also, drives do fail, so if this data is important to you, then you should have a backup strategy for it. As mdgm points out, the sata connectors aren't designed to stand up to a lot of connect/disconnects, so there is a risk of damage (and of course static discharge also can potentially do damage).
Message 5 of 12
daKlone
Aspirant

Points taken re handling and backup, mdgm & StephenB 😎

Back on topic, I now have the dock in-hand and can confirm...that it doesn't work 😞

No flicker of recognition from the RN314 at all, just sits there. Dock confirmed working by connecting it directly to my PC.

Does anyone know of any dock that works?
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Though the speeds won't be great, you might try using the USB 2.0 input.
Message 7 of 12
daKlone
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, that worked! 🙂

Strange that it refuses to work on USB3.0, yet is detected and works fine (if a little slow) on USB2.0?
Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you download your logs and let me know the date in bios_ver.log?
Message 9 of 12
daKlone
Aspirant

Sure:

bios_date=06/11/2013
bios_vendor=American Megatrends Inc.
bios_version=4.6.5
Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As I suspected you have an old BIOS. There is a newer BIOS for the 314 with a USB3 F/W update: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=75513
Message 11 of 12
daKlone
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm, I followed the instructions and flashed the BIOS...and it worked! 🙂 🙂

I now have the USB3.0 dock connected to the rear USB3.0 connector and transferring at a ripping 67MB/s or so. Very pleased, thank you so much! 🙂

Current BIOS:

bios_date=11/05/2013
bios_vendor=American Megatrends Inc.
bios_version=4.6.5
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements