× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 hangs on boot when USB HDD is attached, ReadyNAS OS 6.7.0

dionuk
Star

RN314 hangs on boot when USB HDD is attached, ReadyNAS OS 6.7.0

I have an issue with the readynas lately, whenever I do a reboot the nas hangs on boot when there is a usb hdd attached to it.

I have a 5 bay external USB3 Enclosure with 5 drives in it, everything is working fine but for the fact that the readynas hangs on boot when the usb hdd is plugged in. I have to unplug the enclosure briefly and then when that happens the readynas boots up. Is there a way of configuring a setting to avoid this, this is in effect not a problem when I'm physically there when doing a reboot, but when trying to do a remote reboot it is clearly a problem. Surely there must be a way to remedy this.

All help would be appreciated. I had this issue with the latest firmware version 6.6.2 I think, but I updated to the Beta 6.7.0 ( thinking it might be a fix) but still have the issue. 

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN314 hangs on boot when USB HDD is attached, ReadyNAS OS 6.7.0

Hello dionuk,

Isn't that 5-bay external USB enclosure already a NAS? Can you provide the brand name and model please?

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
dionuk
Star

Hi, thank you for your quick reply, no it is just a 5 bay HDD enclosure (which is just a box with hot swap drive bays and a power supply)(its not the EDA500 from netgear) that connects to any computer/server either by USB cable or by eSATA, the enclosure has got usb3 and the readynas as well, so I connect it like that to get more disk storage on the NAS. The enclosure and the readynas works perfectly, there is no issue with it, the only problem I have is that the readynas will hang on a reboot if the enclosure is attached to it, if I pull the usb cable out the readynas boots up fine. I guess the readynas is waiting for something when it notices that theres a usb hdd plugged in.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you reproduce the issue then download your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Not sure if there's anything that can be done about this. It could be thinking that you've connected an expansion chassis and looking for a data volume, I guess.

Message 4 of 5
dionuk
Star

Hi, I sent you my logs, I did a reboot and watched the readynas, on the display it just showed Booting... (with 3 dots) and it stayed there until I unplugged the usb cable of the external hdd enclosure, the minute I unplugged the usb cable it showed on the screen "starting network" and then it booted up fine. I also noticed that if I plug the usb cable back in too quickly (before the nas has fully booted up) the nas would boot up but the usb hdd won't show up. So the way to do it, is to unplug the usb hdd's start/reboot the readynas, and when the nas is accessible and online, then plug the usb hdd's in. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements