× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 temperature shut down

RN314 temperature shut down

Hi

My RN314 has started to shut down unexpetedly. It's pretty warm here at the moment but this morning it did this at 5am and I wouldnt have thought it was warm enough.

It contains 4x 4TB WD reds. The unit is about 4 years old.

I did a DIY job a year or so ago - I drilled some extra vent holes in the back and strapped a larger fan to the external - this was so that I could run it without the AC in summer and it worked. It was shutting down a rediculous amount before. It's hot here, and in the 30s (C) in summer.

I've checked for dust and it's pretty clean.

Could I send some logs to someone to take a look?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 temperature shut down

@david_spittle wrote:

The unit is about 4 years old.

I did a DIY job a year or so ago - I drilled some extra vent holes in the back and strapped a larger fan to the external -

I suspect that voided the 5-year warranty (which would be unfortunate).

@david_spittle wrote:

Could I send some logs to someone to take a look?

I suggest sending a private message (PM) to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and ask them to take a look.  Download the entire log zip file from the web ui, and then put a copy in cloud storage (Googe Drive, Dropbox, etc).  Then include a download link in the PM.  Don't post the link publicly.  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 2 of 6

Thanks Stephen, I have send them a message.

Message 3 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@david_spittle

Your logs shows your disks are fine but the ones that are overheating were disks 2 and 3. Have you checked if the disks are really do get hot? I was thinking that a sensor might be bad but the logs says those 2 disks exceeds the safe temp hence automatically powering down the NAS and nothing wrong with the Chassis. I don't see any issues on the NAS as so it is possible that the disks (2,3) needs to be checked. Do you have any spare disks to replace both? You may want to check it by turning off the NAS remove the disks and see if it does the same when running outside the NAS. You can connect it to a PC and check it as well for issues using drive tools like WD Lifeguard.

While the Chassis warranty is possibly voided due to the modification you have done, the disks warranty is another it would be best if you have it replaced.

PS: the max temp error message started around 11/12/19

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 6

Hi

Yes the disks do feel hot to touch. Wouldn't it be natural for the disks 2&3 to cause the shutdown? As they are in between the other two disks so they are bound to run hotter and trigger the shutdown, even if the 4 all get hot?

In general they all seem to run around 47deg. With the middle two slightly warmer.  And then there will be a spike for some reason...

Is there a chance that I can break the RAID if I run diagnostics on the disks in my main PC? I'm happy to try some tests. I have Hard Disk Sentinel.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@david_spittle wrote:

Is there a chance that I can break the RAID if I run diagnostics on the disks in my main PC? I'm happy to try some tests. I have Hard Disk Sentinel.

Power down the NAS, and keep it powered down until you complete the tests (and reinsert the disks).  Also, label the disks as you remove them, so you can preserve the slot order.  Then the RAID array will stay in sync.  Of course you need to run non-destructive tests with the diagnostic.  I'd avoid trying to actually "repair" the disks (re-allocating sectors for instance).

WD's Lifeguard tool is also a good test (and is free).

I think the main thing to watch is the disk temp while the generic long read test is running.  You can find some free utilities that will show you the SMART stats while the test is running - that should let you track the temperature.

BTW, are you using the "cool" setting for the fans in the NAS?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements