× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 with 4X10TB disks

mikibuza
Aspirant

RN314 with 4X10TB disks

Dear all.

I wanted to upgrade my Readynas RN 314 from m4X512GB, to 4x10 TB disks.

Is that possibble, can the NAS handle it?

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 with 4X10TB disks

@mikibuza wrote:

Yes i wanted to make a full backup on an external drive, and than power down, swap the disks, and boot up again.

Just to be on the safe side, since i am spending 1700 euros on the drives, the model on the attached picture can handle 4X10 TB Seagate Ironwolf disks in a raid 5/6 configuration?

The mods rejected your photo, probably because it included your NAS serial number.  But 10 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives are compatible with your NAS (and are on the hardware compatibility list).

The default XRAID configuration will use RAID-5 with 4x10TB disks, and give you a 30 TB (~27.3 TiB) volume.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@mikibuza wrote:

I wanted to upgrade my Readynas RN 314 from 4X512GB, to 4x10 TB disks.

Is that possible, can the NAS handle it?

Yes.  I recommend using either NAS-purposed drives (WD Red Plus, Seagate Ironwolf) or Enterprise Class Drives.

While you can upgrade by hot-swapping one disk at a time (waiting for the resync to complete before doing the next), it will be faster to copy off your data, and then do a fresh install on the 4x10 TB drives (putting them all into the NAS powered down, and then power up to do a factory install).  After the install, reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

FWIW, I always test my disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC before using them in the NAS. (WD Digital Dashboard for WD, Seatools for Seagate).  I first run the long non-destructive test, and if that passes I follow up with the full write zeros/erase test.  Though it takes quite a while, I'd prefer to know if there are out-of-the-box issues with the disks before I try and install them.

Message 2 of 8
mikibuza
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@mikibuza wrote:

I wanted to upgrade my Readynas RN 314 from 4X512GB, to 4x10 TB disks.

Is that possible, can the NAS handle it?

Yes.  I recommend using either NAS-purposed drives (WD Red Plus, Seagate Ironwolf) or Enterprise Class Drives.

While you can upgrade by hot-swapping one disk at a time (waiting for the resync to complete before doing the next), it will be faster to copy off your data, and then do a fresh install on the 4x10 TB drives (putting them all into the NAS powered down, and then power up to do a factory install).  After the install, reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from the backup.

FWIW, I always test my disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC before using them in the NAS. (WD Digital Dashboard for WD, Seatools for Seagate).  I first run the long non-destructive test, and if that passes I follow up with the full write zeros/erase test.  Though it takes quite a while, I'd prefer to know if there are out-of-the-box issues with the disks before I try and install them.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes i wanted to maks a full backup on an external drive, and than power down, swap the disks, and boot up again.

Just to be on the safe side, since i am spending 1700 euros on the drives, the modell on the attached picture can handle 4X10 TB Seagat Ironwolf disks in a raid 5/6 configuration?

RN31400

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mikibuza wrote:

Yes i wanted to make a full backup on an external drive, and than power down, swap the disks, and boot up again.

Just to be on the safe side, since i am spending 1700 euros on the drives, the model on the attached picture can handle 4X10 TB Seagate Ironwolf disks in a raid 5/6 configuration?

The mods rejected your photo, probably because it included your NAS serial number.  But 10 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives are compatible with your NAS (and are on the hardware compatibility list).

The default XRAID configuration will use RAID-5 with 4x10TB disks, and give you a 30 TB (~27.3 TiB) volume.

Message 4 of 8
mikibuza
Aspirant

Yepp, you are right, i mistakenly did include it in the photo.

thank you very much for the answer!

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade all the drives at the same time unless you really do need a huge, instant increase in space.  Upgrading to just two 10GB will bump you to almost 10TiB.  Then, when you need more space, you can replace each of the other two and get another 9TiB boost from each.  That will space out the purchases, reducing current cost, extending the life of the later added drives, and keeping all the drives from being the same age and possibly from the same lot, which could make simultaneous failure more likely.

Message 6 of 8
mikibuza
Aspirant

The thing is that i have 7-10 TB of full HDD's laying around, and i wnat to have to have tham on the NAS so that i can 

a, clean up my HDD's that are laying aroung, and collecting dust.

b, I can organize my data.

c, one of the most important reasons. I wantto have all my data available from anywhere. And do not want to worry on which HDD i have what.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, if you already have the drives, that certainly makes a difference.  I assume you realize that the disks will be wiped by the NAS, so you'll need a place to put the data on them until you transfer it to the NAS.

Having all my data from several USB drives in one place was also what pushed me to getting a NAS.  Given how much I have now, I can't imagine having it on a bunch of separate devices.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements