× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 won't update

JoseDevicom
Aspirant

RN314 won't update

We have a Nas that has two ethernet connections. One is an actual internet network and another is a point to point network we use for offline services. Both are setup correctly but for some reason it can't acquire updates. It send error messages out to email saying "System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection." My question is how can it send out the email but not download an update is their a way to setup so that it only uses one network for updates. We need to have the offline network for DB backups so we can't just get rid of that one.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

It's not something I've needed to do myself, but based on posts here it is a pain.

You have two routes that look like they both can reach the internet, and the NAS selects the one that has the lower route metric.  The NAS will let you configure a static route in the web UI, but that doesn't solve the problem

You can go in with ssh and and try manually editing the routes. This post here gives an example: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Default-route-on-ReadyNAS-4220/m-p/...

@pstoev wrote:
until I have physical access to the box, this is my temprary solution. Apperatnly though it will not work if the ReadyNAS is rebooted

root@Netgear:/# route delete default gw 0.0.0.0 eth0
root@Netgear:/# route add default gw 192.168.100.1 eth1

eth0 was the internal network in this case.  Check your own route table before you try this (and confirm that the default gateway is in fact set on the wrong interface).

As the poster noted, I don't think this will survive reboot.  But if it works, you could schedule a cron job that sees if the 0.0.0.0 default gateway exists on the internal interface, and if it does apply the workaround.  Very ugly, and there really should be a better way to handle this. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do check for updates and NTP work correctly?  If they do, then it's likely not related to the two NIC cards.

I suggest that you look in the full log zip, as there might be more clues in there on what's going on.  For instance, it's possible that it's a DNS issue, and not related to the two internet connections.  Or maybe it's simply that one of the ClamAV servers is down.

Message 2 of 6
JoseDevicom
Aspirant

Check for updates times out saying "Operation timeout. Comunication error.Check your internet connection, DNS settings, Proxy settings." The thing is that we can connect to it through explorer and it even sends out emails everytime there is an error. DNS is setup correctly. we have tried disconnecting the point to point network and then updating and it works with the main network but the second we connect that second network it won't update anymore.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@JoseDevicom wrote:

we have tried disconnecting the point to point network and then updating and it works with the main network but the second we connect that second network it won't update anymore.

That helps. It could just be a matter of which ethernet connection takes priority.

One thing you can try is to reconfigure things so that the point-to-point network uses the other NIC.  I think others have found that solved similar issues for them.

Message 4 of 6
JoseDevicom
Aspirant

We did try that it worked for about a week and then it just stopped working again. Right now we have our main network on eth0 and the point-to-point on etho1 before that it was vice-versa. Is this one of those things that are just a pain and there isn't much of a fix or certain way to set it up to make it work all the time? 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It's not something I've needed to do myself, but based on posts here it is a pain.

You have two routes that look like they both can reach the internet, and the NAS selects the one that has the lower route metric.  The NAS will let you configure a static route in the web UI, but that doesn't solve the problem

You can go in with ssh and and try manually editing the routes. This post here gives an example: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Default-route-on-ReadyNAS-4220/m-p/...

@pstoev wrote:
until I have physical access to the box, this is my temprary solution. Apperatnly though it will not work if the ReadyNAS is rebooted

root@Netgear:/# route delete default gw 0.0.0.0 eth0
root@Netgear:/# route add default gw 192.168.100.1 eth1

eth0 was the internal network in this case.  Check your own route table before you try this (and confirm that the default gateway is in fact set on the wrong interface).

As the poster noted, I don't think this will survive reboot.  But if it works, you could schedule a cron job that sees if the 0.0.0.0 default gateway exists on the internal interface, and if it does apply the workaround.  Very ugly, and there really should be a better way to handle this. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements