× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN31400 Booting....

cangayu
Aspirant

RN31400 Booting....

I bought a used unit, i tried to run but is permanently BOOTING......

I can not access to Booting menu (using reset switch)

I made a USB recovery OS system but the unit doesn´t discover any USB, always "booting...."

(i tried to put the usb on the backside and fronside port)

What can i do ?

thanks

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cangayu

Have you tried using several USB Flash drives? Have you tried accessing the Boot menu without the drives? Worst case is that the unit is already dead/defective which may you may need to send back to the seller.

You may want to try booting to USB recovery by trying different flash disks first, it sometimes choose what to boot with but if it still does not do USB Recovery or does not go to Boot menu without the drives then it is probably a dead unit already.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 6
cangayu
Aspirant

Have you tried using several USB Flash drives?

Only two. Is better old or modern USB flash drives ?

Have you tried accessing the Boot menu without the drives?

No, i will try removing the two disks

Worst case is that the unit is already dead/defective which may you may need to send back to the seller.

Uhmm i think seller wanted to remove all the existing information and he deleted more than neccesary.

You may want to try booting to USB recovery by trying different flash disks first, it sometimes choose what to boot with but if it still does not do USB Recovery or does not go to Boot menu without the drives then it is probably a dead unit already.

Dead unit, no possible solution ?

thanks

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Before reaching the conclusion it is unrecoverable, see what it does with no drives installed.  If it boots and says "No disks", it's likely recoverable.

FYI, I have not found any USB drives <32GB in size to be a problem with the OS6 based models.  The older models were definately more finicky.

Message 4 of 6
cangayu
Aspirant

I removed disks, and now it appears: BOOT DEVICE ERROR.

No reaction with Reset button 

I am trying differents USB flash drives

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, that does sound like corrupt flash memory.  I recommend you use a USB drive that has an access LED so you can see if the recovery process even seems to start.  If it does, and hangs, then there is likely a problem with the flash itself, and you've discovered why the NAS was for sale.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements