× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 Drive upgrade

AKLGUY
Apprentice

RN316 Drive upgrade

Hey community.

I had recently sn Experiance which appeared that there was a failed drive upgrade on my RN316 which had 3x 8TB and 3TB 3TB I replaced the bay 4 which was a 3TB with an 8TB and for some reason the resync didn't go smoothly I backed up as much as I could and then tried a factory reset, took a couple of days but it came online with the right storage that it should for 4x8TB and 2x 3TB but today I noticed bay 4 (the new 8TB this is a wd plus so 7200rpm) has a steady red light. I do a disc check and after 2 days it says that the drive in bay 5 has failed. Is ther any reason why the light for bay 4 will be on instead of bay 5?

it shouldn't matter that bay 4 is a 7200 RPM drive while all the others ate 5900 right?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN316 Drive upgrade

@AKLGUY wrote:
Thank you StephenB I will give that a go this weekend.
If it is the 3TB in bay 5 that is bad I guess I can put in the 3TB i took out of Bay 4 right? Just format it first?

I suggested testing the old Bay 4 drive first on your other thread, just to make sure it is healthy.  If you run the write zeros test, you will not need to format it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

it shouldn't matter that bay 4 is a 7200 RPM drive while all the others ate 5900 right?

It shouldn't, and I have used mis-matched speeds myself.  @Sandshark had an issue once (related to spinup time), but I think that was unusual.  FWIW, there is no reason why the mismatch would target drive 5, and not the others.

@AKLGUY wrote:

I do a disc check and after 2 days it says that the drive in bay 5 has failed. Is ther any reason why the light for bay 4 will be on instead of bay 5?

That seems odd, and you might want to confirm that drive 5 has failed and not the new drive.  You can power down, and test both in a Windows PC with vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, either Lifeguard or the Digital Dashboard tools for Western Digital).

Message 2 of 5
AKLGUY
Apprentice

If it is the 3TB in bay 5 that is bad I guess I can put in the 3TB i took out of Bay 4 right? Just format it first?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

I suggested testing the old Bay 4 drive first on your other thread, just to make sure it is healthy.  If you run the write zeros test, you will not need to format it.

Message 4 of 5
AKLGUY
Apprentice

You’re helping in the other older thread which I though had issues so created a new one let’s this one close
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements