× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 Sync Failing

travis_dcc
Follower

RN316 Sync Failing

I have a RN316 with four 4TB drives. The RAID5 degraded and the logs showed that one of the drives had failed (even though it still had a green light in the admin interface). After a reboot, the NAS said it was resyncing and would take about 30 hours. A few minutes later I got a message that said "The resync operation finished on volume data. However, the volume is still degraded."

I pulled the drive that had shown as bad and replaced with the same model drive. It initially started to sync, but then ended up with the same situation.

Thinking it may be a bad bay in the NAS, I moved the drive to an open bay, but had the same result. I've updated the firmware to 6.10.2. I've searched the forums, but haven't found a fix yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN316 Sync Failing

Obviously you should make sure you have a current backup, as the data is at risk.

You can download the full log zip file, and look for errors that might explain what is going on.  The mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) can review the logs for you - if you want them to do that, you 

1. upload the log zip to cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc)
  2. send them a private message (using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum), asking them to review.  Include a link to the zip in the request.

The warranty on the NAS is 5 years for the original purchaser - so you might check on the warranty status.

Some RN316s also had lifetime chat support bundled into the sale.  These NAS were purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements