× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 Volumes

joe_schmo
Tutor

RN316 Volumes

I have been dealing with Netgear support which has been really fantasic, given that they were able to fix a problem where my NAS and the EDA500 were inaccessible.

But the tech suppor tperson noted that I have 14 volumes on my NAS and I couldnt; get a decent explaination of what that meant nor what problems that could cause.

I do know that I have had the NAS for so long and running XRAID, I have over the years upgraded drives, from 2TBs up to 8TBs.

Can anyone shed any liht on what the 14 volume comment eant or if there's something I should be doing differently?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN316 Volumes

How many volumes do you see on the web UI's volume page?

Message 2 of 4
joe_schmo
Tutor

3. Data, eda1, eda2.

Whenever the support tech was in yesterday they were saying they see 14 via command line.

Basically they said I shouldn't plug in more than one chassis nor fill it up over 80pct. Said I shouldn't be upgrading multiple drives multiple times.

They also said that it "crashed" when they tried mounting the system. But beforehand we wiped it, they mounted everything read-only, I rebooted and everything was back.

Im really confused as they made it sound like the 316 is super fragile.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I think they might be talking about RAID groups and not volumes.  If you've expanded through a lot of intermediate drive sizes, you might have a lot of RAID groups being merged into your three volumes.

If you have good backups, you could destroy/recreate your existing three volumes over time, and re-populate them.  That would reduce the number of RAID groups, and also take care of any minor file system issues that might have crept in over the years. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements