× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN316 and 6.6.1 not honoring smart snapshot management

Laserbait
Luminary

RN316 and 6.6.1 not honoring smart snapshot management

My shares are set to "weekly" smart snapshot management.  Right now, one of the shares has 12 snapshots Looks like there are 8 weekly snapshots and 4 monthly ones.   I didn't create the monthly ones, why are they there?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

The last weekly snapshot in a month is promoted to a monthly snapshot.  Monthly snapshots are retained forever, although of course you can manually delete them.

The Netgear KB omits the bit about promotion to monthly snapshots.

Message 2 of 7
bedlam1
Prodigy

"The Netgear KB omits the bit about promotion to monthly snapshots"

It is shown on Page 106 of the OS 6 Software manual

Link.to OS 6 Software manual

Message 3 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Yes I'm aware it is shown elsewhere ncluding the almost identical Readydata KB. 

The Readynas KB is probably the one that needs to be accurate.

Message 4 of 7
Laserbait
Luminary

I just wish it was stated in the window where you set the snapshot information, because that's what I was going by.

So, now if I want to change that behavior, and just do 8 snapshots total, I could change from smart to standard management, and select 8 snapshots total.  Will the system automatically remove the older snapshots?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

So, now if I want to change that behavior, and just do 8 snapshots total, I could change from smart to standard management, and select 8 snapshots total.  Will the system automatically remove the older snapshots?

If you switch to custom snapshots with limited retention, the system will remove the older ones it knows about.  That should happen at the next scheduled snapshot time.

FWIW, the options in custom snapshots fit me better than the "smart" settings.  I set most shares for 3 months retention, and "only take snapshot with changes". Some shares have shorter retention - my share for PC image backups for instance has only two weeks retention.

Message 6 of 7
Hopchen
Prodigy

Yes, just use custom snapshot schedule. It will suit you better I think.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements