× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN316 - backup to external USB - EXT4 - Error 0x800700FE

Max_NAS
Tutor

RN316 - backup to external USB - EXT4 - Error 0x800700FE

I do occassional backups of folders from my Readynas 316 to an external WD Elements drive attached to the NAS USB port.

The drive then accompanies me with my laptop when I'm travelling - so that I have access to the project files I need.

The drive has an EXT4 file system, so I can only access the files using Ext2 Volume Manager. This allows me to assign a drive letter when attached to my Windows 10 laptop so that I can see all the files in Windows Explorer.

The problem is that when I try to copy a file(s) off the external drive, I get the error message: "Error 0x800700FE: The specified attribute name was invalid". The workaround is to right-click the file and Send To> Compressed (zipped) folder and a zipped version of the file(s) is copied onto the external drive. I'm then able to copy that zipped folder onto my laptop, extract it, and use it.

Is there a better way to do this? I've used the work-around for years, but it's cumbersome and time-consuming (especially with large folders).

Thank you,

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Max_NAS wrote:

I could reformat the external drive and start again with NTFS - is that an option?

Yes.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like this is a problem with your ext2 volume manager tool on the PC.

In other words, you aren't seeing this error when you back up the RN316, you are only seeing it when you use the volume manager software on the PC.  Is that correct?

Why are you using ext at all?  NTFS sounds like it would be better suited to what you are doing.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I agree that NTFS souds like a better USB drive format for you.  On legacy NAS, it can be a lot slower than EXT, but it's pretty robust in OS6.

If that's not an option for some reason, this gives you some options: 3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows .  I used the EXT2FSD option myself many years ago, and since the drive was storage only, I ignored the warning about enabling writes with no ill effects.

Message 3 of 7
Max_NAS
Tutor

Thanks Stephen - yes, the error only appears when accessing files from the external drive using the volume manager. The actual backup from NAS to attached USB drive is fine.

I vaguely remember following default settings or the optional EXT4 recommended by ReadyNAS when setting it up - and at the time, didn't know the difference between EXT4 and NTFS.

I could reformat the external drive and start again with NTFS - is that an option?

Until then, I would need to keep battling with the workaround I outlined (I only get back to my NAS in a week or so).

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, reformatting the drive to NTFS will work just fione.  If you are using a backup job for the transfer, you may need to let it know to do another full backup.

Message 5 of 7
Max_NAS
Tutor

Thanks for this - and your previous post; I'll the try the other two apps mentioned in the article you send (at least to see me through until I start a new NTFS backup when I'm re-united with my NAS)

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Max_NAS wrote:

Yes.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements