× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN316 stuck at boooting 43%

Laserbait
Luminary

RN316 stuck at boooting 43%

My RN316 is stuck at boooting 43%.I've rebooted it a couple of times, but it hasn't helped. RAIDAR doesn't see it on the network, and I can't ping it. It has an EDA500 attached. Last I looked it was running 6.9.4 Hotfix 1. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have paid support.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

My RN316 is stuck at boooting 43%.I've rebooted it a couple of times, but it hasn't helped.

Did you try booting read-only?

Message 2 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

I tried getting into safe mode, but I got interuppted by a phone call.  When I came back to it after about an hour, it was up!  The volume on the EDA500 was inactive:

image.png

I took a set of logs from the array, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.  Is there a way that I can remount the EDA500 volume?  Although, they're really nothing on it that I can't easily replace from a backup.

Message 3 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

Everything is visible now from read only., currently moving the data off the array.  I'd really like to know why the failed like this. If anyone at Netgear would like to look at the logs, I'd be happy to send them in.

Message 4 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

You may upload the logs to a file sharing site then PM me the download link.

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

Hello John,

I've sent you a PM with a link to the log bundle.

Message 6 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Upon checking the logs, the volume on the EDA500 is possibly fragmented. There are tons of call traces on dmesg.log. It could be a bad eda cable or there could be something wrong with the volume itself.

Regards,

Message 7 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

Thanks John,

I did a reboot after that, and both volumes were offline. Unfortunately I didn't get a log from that, but I do have one from it in read-only mode.

(where it's currently at now), copying data off of it..  Would you mind taking a look at that too?

Message 8 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

L3 has checked the logs as well and said that if it works in read only but not on read-write, then something is likely happening at the file system level. What happening is likely related to some kind of damage that happened at a low level and as a result when you try to mount the volume on read-write and it tries to make specific changes, it locks up.

This may be fixable but it would take engineering resources and time. It will be best if you just back up the data on that volume and reset it.

Regards,

Message 9 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 10 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

So my backup finally finished, and reset the NAS back to factory defaults.   Just waiting on the rebuild to finish before restoring.

Message 11 of 13
Laserbait
Luminary

Hahaha - I knew the EDA500 was going to be slower, but WOW!

Start Resync.pngResync Progress.png

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I have found the predicted time for the EDA500 to be very wrong (longer than it will really take) near the beginning of such an operation.  But it will still be longer.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements