× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN31600

11ii
Tutor

RN31600

Hi all

I have a RN31600 which does not start booting anymore.

Bought it in 2014.

My question now is. Shall i buy a new one or is he repairable? Maybe  power supply failure.

Second if not repairable in one way or another i'm i able to transfer disks to a new one without loosing

data?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

best

alfred

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@11ii wrote:

you mean if i buy a new one i can easely put in my old harddrives and it works?

Yes.  You can migrate the disks to any OS-6 NAS that has enough bays.  Ideally that would be an x86 NAS (RN300 series or above).

This assumes that the array was not damaged when the RN316 failed.

@11ii wrote:

should i search for a psu. is it worth it?

Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in.  

It certainly would be cheaper than replacing the NAS.  You'd have to find one that fits (and has the right specs).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@11ii wrote:

Second if not repairable in one way or another i'm i able to transfer disks to a new one without loosing

data?

Yes

@11ii wrote:

My question now is. Shall i buy a new one or is he repairable? Maybe  power supply failure.

What are the symptoms when you try to boot?  Are you seeing text on the LCD panel (or any lights)?

If you are, then try removing the disks (labeling by slot), and see if the NAS boots with a "no disks" status.

I haven't seen any posts here from someone with a failed PSU in their RN316 - but it should be replaceable.

Message 2 of 14
11ii
Tutor

hi

thank you very much for quick reply.

no lights at all, nothing.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@11ii wrote:

Yes.  You can migrate the disks to any OS-6 NAS that has enough bays.  Ideally that would be an x86 NAS (RN300 series or above).

This assumes that the array was not damaged when the RN316 failed.

@11ii wrote:

Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in.  

It certainly would be cheaper than replacing the NAS.  You'd have to find one that fits (and has the right specs).

Message 4 of 14
11ii
Tutor

thank you very much for your advices!!

i will look for a new psu. it doesn't seem that easy to find one.

Message 5 of 14
11ii
Tutor

hi again

could it be any other thing than the psu that produces this failure?

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@11ii wrote:

could it be any other thing than the psu that produces this failure?

The PSU is most likely.  Not sure if anything else would have the same symptoms.

Message 7 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

The power supply in the 316/516/716/EDA500 is a standard Flex ATX, aka mini-ITX.  Unlike the legacy units that use a similar supply, it does have the fan and uses a standard pin-out.  So, it is easy to find a replacement.  I don't recall the wattage, however, and my parts unit is in my storage unit, so not easy to check.  But it's pretty easy to remove and look at the label on it.  Look at the overall wattage and the individual 3.3, 5, and 12V ratings when selecting a replacement and get something as powerful or more.

My parts 516 is a parts machine because it has a short somewhere on the main board, which I thought was probably a power supply issue when I took a gamble buying it.  It's probably a shorted capacitor, but it's hard to figure out which one without a schematic.  So, here's hoping yours really is something as easy to fix as the power supply.

Message 8 of 14
11ii
Tutor

Thank you for all your Informations. That was a huge help.

I've dismountet NAS to check the PSU model.

DPS-200PB-186A

I found some similiar models like 185A. i'm checking now out with dealer if it fits.

thank you

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

@11ii wrote:

Thank you for all your Informations. That was a huge help.

I've dismountet NAS to check the PSU model.

DPS-200PB-186A

I found some similiar models like 185A. i'm checking now out with dealer if it fits.

thank you

Not even close.  The DPS-200PB-186A may look like it has a similar case, but it supplies an entirely different set of voltages and has different connectors.

The overall rating is 200W, but what are the rated wattages for 5V, 3.3V. +12V, and +5VSB on the original?  There are plenty of 300W flex ATX supplies that should be more than enough to replace it.  Be careful if shopping on eBay, though, as I see a lot of supplies there labeled "Flex ATX" that are not.  A top-mounted fan is a dead givaway it's not.

Message 10 of 14
11ii
Tutor

Mine DPS-200 PB-186A

3.3V/6A  5V/12A / 12V/13A +5VSB/ 2A 47-63hz

input 200w output 190w

i couldn't see the connectors on the image of 185A that's why i was asking dealer.

you know where to find a 300W flex ATX?

Message 11 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

They are abundant on eBay, Amazon, NewEgg, etc.  Just doing a real quick search and checking amperages and price, this one on Amazon looks like a good choice: Apevia-ITX-AP300W-Mini-ITX-Solid-Supply 

Message 12 of 14
11ii
Tutor

i'm very thankful for your instructions. extremly helpful.

today i've have ordered a model which will work, hopefully.

will update you here.

Message 13 of 14
11ii
Tutor

hi all

it wasn't the PSU. It was the power button.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements