× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN422 front panel, is it working correctly?

DaveRuk
Tutor

RN422 front panel, is it working correctly?

I've only had this unit a short while and so far have been very pleased with it. Today I have noticed something odd.

-System started up as normal this morning and updated AV definitions

-System logs are all green, nothing odd I can see

I noticed all the front panel buttons were lit up, that's the 4 directional buttons and central OK button. The actual LED info panel showed nothing. Never seen this before, in fact I've never used those buttons, carrying out admin work via browser connection

I assumed it was trying to tell me something, and assumed that pressing any button would make it come alive so I could see what was going on.

-None of the buttons responded to a press at all.
-I ended up remotely rebooting the NAS

-Looking in logs once again, no clues
-I've tried and failed to find more info on usage of the front panel, so that's why I'm raising this one here.

Typically, I noticed that my product support optiom expired only a few weeks ago too.

-Firmware is 6.10.1

any advice would be welcomed, thankyou.

Dave

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Welcome to the forum!

@DaveRuk wrote:

-I've tried and failed to find more info on usage of the front panel, so that's why I'm raising this one here.

It isn't as well documented as it should be, but is some info on usage of the panel on pages 87-90 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

There is a proximity sensor that should light the buttons when you are near.  It's possible that is misbehaving.  To activate the directional buttons (and wake up that LCD display), you first press the OK button, or press the Power button once.  If that isn't working, you might want to contact paid support (my.netgear.com) - you might need a warranty replacement.  While the panel isn't used much, you do want to make sure that you can use the boot menu functions, as they are important if something goes wrong.

@DaveRuk wrote:

Typically, I noticed that my product support option expired only a few weeks ago too.

Of course the hardware warranty still applies (which is 5 years for the original purchaser).  You could also purchase a software support contract, though I wouldn't do that unless something goes wrong that requires paid support to fix.

@DaveRuk wrote:

I've only had this unit a short while

Though you didn't ask:  RAID redundancy isn't enough to keep your data safe.  Multiple disks can fail, as can the ReadyNAS itself.  So it is important to have a backup strategy for your data (keeping at least one other copy on another device).  

Message 2 of 10
DaveRuk
Tutor

StephenB - thanks for your reply., you've helped me before, but I think the way accounts work might show me as new now.

The proximity sensor was complete news to me, and I don't think it is mentioned in the product docs at all. In my case I don't think it is working at all though. I was hoping that there was a known cause for all the front panel buttons to be brightly illuminated at the same time, but can't find any reference to that anywhere.

I also tried the "OK" button, then (behind front panel) Power button press. Pressing the centre OK did nothing, but pressing the Power button brought the LCD display up. From there though the front buttons still don't respond at all. I take your point about the boot menu if needed, and it's that sort of thing that concerns me here.

I have to say it feels like the support model has changed perhaps and I am somewhat dismayed that the complimentary support, in any form seemingly, does not align with the product warranty period. Given that right now I am trying to confirm if the unit has a problem which may qualify for warranty replacement, it seems most odd that I cannot easily reach Netgear support who could help in clarifying the issue I've seen.

I've also just tried looking into the paid support option, but on trying to access that, the page doesn't load for me so I am not making any progress really Smiley Frustrated

I'd actually be really happy if what was happening was due to my lack of awareness of system usage, given what seems to be incomplete product documentation!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DaveRuk wrote:

I have to say it feels like the support model has changed perhaps and I am somewhat dismayed that the complimentary support, in any form seemingly, does not align with the product warranty period. Given that right now I am trying to confirm if the unit has a problem which may qualify for warranty replacement, it seems most odd that I cannot easily reach Netgear support who could help in clarifying the issue I've seen.

I'd actually be really happy if what was happening was due to my lack of awareness of system usage, given what seems to be incomplete product documentation!

I suggest waiting a bit to give @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V (both Netgear mods) to respond on next steps.

If they agree it is a hardware issue with your NAS, then I suggest going directly to "replace my defective product" in my.netgear.com.  If you have trouble finding that link, try

1. logging into my.netgear.com
  2. browsing to https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx

Make sure your RN422 is registered first, and that you have uploaded your proof of purchase.

You can point Netgear support to this forum thread - which might help, esp, if the mods agree that it's likely hardware.

Message 4 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DaveRuk,

This looks like possible hardware issue since the front panel buttons are not responding at all. You may just open a warranty replacement ticket by following the steps provided by @StephenB. Support may do some additional hardware checks on the NAS before they proceed with the RMA.

Regards,

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you happen to open the door just before you saw this?  If so, my guess is a badly seated flex tape between the door and main chassis.  I bought a used NAS that had that problem, and it was clearly there from day 1.  While I fixed it myself (no warranty on used NAS), you should not attempt it on any NAS in warranty.

Message 6 of 10
DaveRuk
Tutor

Thanks for the additional replies folks, some updates on my part:

@StephenB
Becoming more convinced this was a h/w problem I created a case under some topic for hardware fault. I was then able to use that via phone to get through to tech support. As I've said before, once you get speaking to someone I've not had any complaints there, but getting to that point seemed awkward.

Anyway, today I followed advice and carried out a reset boot, into Normal mode. Once the system had finished booting, front panel use now seems normal. The only aspect that does not happen is the proximity sensor. No matter what I do it does not respond. I mentioned this to tech support yesterday but did not get a clear answer as to whether there is one there or not? Are you sure that applies to this model?

@JohnCM_S
Hardware is my hunch too, but no idea why the system behaved as it did as I had not even accessed it when I spotted the lit up panel yesterday. Within my update to tech support regarding the above steps, I am asking if this is a known fault and how it is being handled. Conversely, if it is not a known fault I still need to understand my position. At only 4 months old, I would think it unreasonable to have to regularly resort to the reset/boot process just to get the panel working. Ironically I believe I would be more dependent on the front panel if a more serious issue took place, and I am not sure rebooting the system would be a great idea whilst trying to protect data.

@Sandshark
Nope, as I said I had not accessed, let alone touched the NAS when this happened. The system will have started as per scheduled power plan, updated AV signature and then did the weird display thing without any intervention by myself. In fact I could probably count the number of times I have opened the front panel on the fingers of one hand, until yesterday that is!

Having that brought to my attention raised my curiousity, so I had a closer look earlier, and indeed I can see the ribbon connector tucked within the lower hinge, but can see no physical issues with it at a glance.

I feel I'm getting good follow-up now, with the only remaining question in my mind being if this event, and the uncertainty, positions for chassis replacement.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DaveRuk wrote:

I mentioned this to tech support yesterday but did not get a clear answer as to whether there is one there or not? Are you sure that applies to this model?

I'm not certain (it's not a model I own) - but it's odd that Tech Support couldn't give you a clear answer.  Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will.

Message 8 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DaveRuk,

I inquired this with L3 support and they said that there is no proximity sensor installed on the RN422.

Regards,

Message 9 of 10
DaveRuk
Tutor

Apologies for delay, my part of the country is experiencing severe flooding and I am somewhat affected, it's been an unwelcome distraction for the last 36 hours and is not over yet.

I had a similar response from the tech support folks regarding proximity sensor on the 422, so that one is put to bed and I'm fine with that. I had previously been wondering if non functionality was a symptom of a wider issue with the front panel.

As for the main issue it has not repeated yet, however my NAS has not power cycled for a while now as I copy data off it.

It's been suggested that something odd may have happened at boot, and may never happen again. My only nervousness is not understanding why a potential boot glitch was not captured in the system logs.

I thank everyone for their input though, it's appreciated.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements