× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN422 front panel issues, again

Numb3r6
Apprentice

RN422 front panel issues, again

Options for models seem limited so to be clear, my NAS is ReadyNAS 422 2 bay with 2x3TB drives

Firmware is up to date with 6.10.5 hotfix 1

Firstly I'll cross reference 2 other issues I've had with this unit which started only 4 months after purchase:
30.7.2019 (all front panel buttons illuminated)
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN422-front-panel-is-it-working-cor...

30.4.21 ((null)+ffffea0001d29000 shown on front panel)
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN422-weird-message-on-front-panel/...

Latest problem seems twofold. I noticed antivirus signatures were not being downloaded. This has happened on occasion before, sometimes a network issue etc and taking action at router, ethernet switch or NAS reboot usually resolves. This time it hasn't.
In the course of looking into this I noticed the front panel buttons now do nothing. Normally a press will wake the panel up, but not now, even after a reboot.

Looking at the history of this unit, I'm now wondering if I have had an underlying hardware problem from early on and would appreciate any thoughts/pointers. If I can fix this myself, great, but I'm struggling to see what else I can do. Equally, if there's a chance this specific unit has been a lemon from day 1, with a dodgy front panel, I'd value thoughts as to where I stand and what I can do about it. It's now becoming annoying and I am questioning its reliability whilst my confidence in it is reducing, quickly. The unit has been well looked after, doesn't get moved around, and is kept in good condition via careful cleaning.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Dave

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 24
StephenB
Guru

I have no advice on the dysfunctional front panel, other than ask for a replacement if it is under warranty.  The hardware warranty is 5 years, but not transferrable.  Since the RN422 was launched less than 5 years ago, it will be still covered if you are the original purchaser (and purchased from an authorized reseller).

The AV issue is because ClamAV just deprecated the version of ClamAV installe id in 6.10.5.  The way to solve that is to install 6.10.6 beta: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/ReadyNASOS-6-10-6-Beta/m-p/2151119#M10972

Message 2 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Hi Stephen and thanks for a quick response, as ever!

Your point about the AV issue is helpful, I was unaware of that. I don't know if Netgear publish some form of alerts for known issues such as that but if not it would be useful. I'm less alarmed about that now, but will probably hold off moving to a beta update, and will likely wait for that to move to a production version update, which I'd happily apply. In the meantime I shall just be double vigilant with all my other AV measures.

Regarding the chassis, your comments are valuable, Thankyou. It's well within the 5 year window, I've owned it from new, and I have contacted Netgear support directly to start some dialogue on this, and will see what they can suggest. As I say, if there's an obvious fix I can apply myself, I'm happy to do so. To date I have really enjoyed using my RN422, but these issues with the front panel are annoying, and of course worrying lest they be signs of some looming catastrophic failure. I'll also admit this has somewhat eroded my confidence in the brand. I'll share progress as things move along.

Dave

Message 3 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

I may have made progress on this.

As I mentioned, I think I'll leave the AV issue for now and wait for the fix that is within the mentioned beta to reach the next production version update.

Regarding the front panel I was able to speak to the tech support guys about the issue. I have to say the guys I spoke to were mega helpful and professional. It was one of those seemingly rare occasions when a call to a remote support group was a real pleasure. Anyway I shared symptoms, photos and logs, resulting in the suggestion that the OS may have an issue.

I've not dealt with any OS rebuild issues and was naturally wary. I was assured that re-flashing the OS would not impact shares nor data, but decided to backup some critical stuff to other media first anyway. When I came to re-flash the OS, it was a breeze. Using the boot options menu I went for it, and it took little more time than a normal boot.

Immediately the front panel started to behave properly once more (noting I'd tried re-boots already that had made no difference) so the buttons illuminate when pressed and I can now scroll through the various options, the LCD panel now displays messages as normal, and once I've stopped, there must be a timeout, which then dims the buttons and LCD panel. Happy with the outcome so far.

What this does bring to mind though are the previous issues I've had, and I now wonder if it's somehow possible I've had an underlying OS issue since day1, noting the first oddity occurred only a few months after purchase. I guess I may never know that, but am feeling more confident I don't have a hardware issue here, which is fine with me.

Message 4 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Numb3r6 wrote:

I think I'll leave the AV issue for now and wait for the fix that is within the mentioned beta to reach the next production version update.

Netgear has released it to production: https://kb.netgear.com/000064345/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-6

Usually there is a lag of a week or so before a new production release shows up in "check for updates". 

@Numb3r6 wrote:

Regarding the front panel I was able to speak to the tech support guys about the issue. I have to say the guys I spoke to were mega helpful and professional. It was one of those seemingly rare occasions when a call to a remote support group was a real pleasure. Anyway I shared symptoms, photos and logs, resulting in the suggestion that the OS may have an issue.

I've not dealt with any OS rebuild issues and was naturally wary. I was assured that re-flashing the OS would not impact shares nor data, but decided to backup some critical stuff to other media first anyway. When I came to re-flash the OS, it was a breeze. Using the boot options menu I went for it, and it took little more time than a normal boot.

I'm glad it's been resolved.  

It sounds like you did an OS re-install.  That is pretty safe, but it is always wise to have an up to date backup. 

Message 5 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Thanks for that extra info regarding the version update release timing. I checked on mine and it's not showing as available just yet, so I'll keep an eye open for that. I'm just relieved that I don't seem to have a h/w issue and the fix seems to have been nice and easy, which makes a pleasant change!

Message 6 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

re-flashing the OS - how did you do this? I am currently have the very same problems

Message 7 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Deeperdown wrote:

re-flashing the OS - how did you do this? I am currently have the very same problems

You aren't re-flashing, you are installing new firmware (which ends up on both the NAS flash memory and the disks).  Note the NAS boots from the disks.

Download the firmware for your NAS (either arm or x86), and unzip it.  Then go to system->settings->update and use the install firmware control there.  It will update your firmware (and tell you when you need to reboot the NAS).

Message 8 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

thanks. how do i know if it is arm or x86?

Message 9 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Deeperdown wrote:

thanks. how do i know if it is arm or x86?

The KB article has a list of the applicable ReadyNAS after each of the two download links. 

Message 10 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

Thanks for your help. Basically I guess if I leave it for the time being until the new firmware is pushed out it will be picked up by the automatic update of the NAS and resolve the issues?
Message 11 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Deeperdown wrote:
Basically I guess if I leave it for the time being until the new firmware is pushed out it will be picked up by the automatic update of the NAS and resolve the issues?

Yes - it might take a week or so (depending on Netgear).

The manual install process is easy - if you are confused about the Arm/x86 aspect, you can just tell us what ReadyNAS you have.  If it's a desktop, then any model number over 300 is x86, the models below 300 are Arm.  FWIW, if you make a mistake on this, the system will refuse to install it.

Message 12 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Here’s the process Netgear guided me to
https://kb.netgear.com/000036942/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-422-424-or-524X using the option “OS reinstall”

Whilst the process takes little longer than a regular boot you may want to consider backing up important data to another source first, just in case. Good luck.
Message 13 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Numb3r6 wrote:
Here’s the process Netgear guided me to
https://kb.netgear.com/000036942/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-422-424-or-524X using the option “OS reinstall”

That is the wrong process for getting the AV issue fixed.  An OS-reinstall will simply reinstall the version of firmware you are already running.  It doesn't upgrade.

Once again, the process is:

1. download the relevant zip file for your NAS from https://kb.netgear.com/000064345/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-6
  2. unzip it
  3. Go to system->settings->update in https://nas-ip-address/admin (admin web ui)
  4. click on install firmware
  5. you will then get a pop-up to select the firmware file
  6. the NAS will upload it, and give you a prompt to reboot.

This is not rocket science.

Message 14 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

With respect, no, it's not rocket science, but Deeperdown was experiencing "the very same problems" as I, and I've commented on that basis.

Whilst I accept that one of the problems (AV update, the lesser of my issues) may be resolved by either installing 6.10.6 beta, or waiting for it to move to production, the more worrying chassis problem I was having, as per thread title, was resolved by following the OS reinstall as per Netgear tech support guidance - and if that is also being experienced by Deeperdown, then that process would seem to be the answer, albeit one that does not resolve the AV update issue.

So we're perhaps discussing at cross purposes, but if Deeperdown is having the same front panel issues as I, then reinstalling the OS to a non beta version using that process, seems to have a known, positive outcome.

Message 15 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

Can you provide guidance on how to reinstall the OS?
Message 16 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

If you've got issues with the front panel as I did (buttons not illuminating nor active) the process that is linked in post 13 in this thread is the one I followed. It's basically: power down, press and hold reset button with paper clip whilst restarting, keep that held down until the NAS displays the boot menu. You can then release the rear reset button and use the front panel controls to select OS Reinstall, which will reload the existing version.

As pointed out by StephenB if the main issue you want to fix is the AV update fail, then this won't fix that aspect, and you'd need to follow the steps he provided to manually install the beta firmware version as per post 14.

Message 17 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@Numb3r6 wrote:

As pointed out by StephenB if the main issue you want to fix is the AV update fail, then this won't fix that aspect, and you'd need to follow the steps he provided to manually install the beta firmware version as per post 14.

It's been released to production after that, so don't install the beta.  Instead install from here: https://kb.netgear.com/000064345/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-6  (FWIW, folks who did install the beta should upgrade to production).

@Numb3r6 wrote:

If you've got issues with the front panel as I did (buttons not illuminating nor active) the process that is linked in post 13 in this thread is the one I followed. 

Agreed (I was assuming that @Deeperdown only has the AV problem - the front panel issue is unusual).  If that fails (which it might), then contact paid Netgear support and ask for an RMA.  

Message 18 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

Just a quick update…..I flashed the OS as previously discussed but to no joy, so I contacted NETGEAR who were fab and have replaced the unit next day and then help me through the process of swapping over the drives, which was quite easy, but just wanted to make sure I did it right.
So the AV not updating is still an issue but as you said, once the firmware is updated this will get corrected. Thanks all for your support 🤩🤩👍
Message 19 of 24
Numb3r6
Apprentice

Do you have the RN422 also? If so and it's the panel buttons not working it does make me wonder if your case is a true h/w issue. If those are the symptoms, just out of interest does the LCD panel work when the system is starting/shutting down, with the usual progress messages?
Great to hear you've getting manufacturer support on this, good result. I've been very impressed by their tech support folks.

Message 20 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

The LCD did display when shutting down and booting, but the buttons just didn’t work. They got me to reflash the OS which I did and they just said it’s a HW issue. The new unit also connect noticeably quicker to readyCloud.
Message 21 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

Sorry yes I have a RN424
Message 22 of 24
DaveRuk
Tutor

Had to tidy up accounts, but I'm OP and just wanted to update that my RN422 has just been offered 6.10.3 production update and that seems to have gone ok.

Message 23 of 24
Deeperdown
Tutor

Mine too. The update occurred automatically and updated the anti virus. All good now.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements