× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN422 reboot destroyed both my Discs

HH93
Aspirant

RN422 reboot destroyed both my Discs

Hi,

replaced my RN104 with a RN422 - the 104 seemed to be very slow and was constantly rebooting randomly when ever more than one person was accessing it.

I used a 6tb WD Green HDD (from the 104) to Disc 1 position, formatted and restored the data from backup drives - ended up as Blue and Healthy on the Graphic. Was shown as JBOD and as Flex-Raid. Added one more 6tb the same as Disk1 to disk 2, Formated and made a global spare (Green Coloured on the graphic).

the Unit went to recovering and sync mode so i left it the 48 hours to sort itself out. I added a new USB Drive to backup data at a later date but that disc wasnt seen so after the Sync was completed and both Discs showing Blue i rebooted the unit so the new USB external drive could be seen.

There seemed to be no isue with the reboot at first but the USB Drive still couldnt be seen and Disc 1 was showing RED & Disc 2 Green on the Graphic. The only option for both was to DESTROY the volumes.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and what can i do about it ??

Looks like the options are to Format both disks and transfer all the data across again ?

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show that disk 2 has an uncorrectable sector count of 672. That's huge. I assume that's the disk taken from the old NAS?

Sounds like due to that the new disk wasn't able to sync with the old disk.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 5
HH93
Aspirant

Logs sent

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show that disk 2 has an uncorrectable sector count of 672. That's huge. I assume that's the disk taken from the old NAS?

Sounds like due to that the new disk wasn't able to sync with the old disk.

Message 4 of 5
HH93
Aspirant

Hello,

that makes sense to me as one of the 6TB Discs in my 104 was throwing up errors - I'll replace the discs with a new ones (WD Red 6TB)  and go from there.

They are a quite old pair of WD Green 6TB and i didnt ever set up the Disc Spin down so they have probably been running constantly for the 20,000 hrs as shown on the Disc Data that pops up if you hovver over the Green dot on the graphic.

Thanks for your help.

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements