× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN42200 SUITABLE FOR HOME USE AS WINDOWS 10 FILE SHARE AND MEDIA SERVER ? - Trying to decide !

z1r
Aspirant
Aspirant

RN42200 SUITABLE FOR HOME USE AS WINDOWS 10 FILE SHARE AND MEDIA SERVER ? - Trying to decide !

Simple question I suppose ? Is the RN42200-100NES( Aamzon) suitable for use as a home based unit for file sharing /media streaming mp4 /mkv etc /light backup using a Windows 10 lan with a Netgear (R7000P-100NAS) Nighthawk AC2300  router and a LINKSYS LINKSYS LGS116P  dumb switch. I know their are more mulimedia dedicated designed Ready nas Models but this fits my desires nicely just want to be sure it is suitable for the LAN i have and uses I intend for it - Will also setup the Android acccess etc as well  Thanks in advance  to all who reply. 

Model: ReadyNAS RND4220|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN42200 SUITABLE FOR HOME USE AS WINDOWS 10 FILE SHARE AND MEDIA SERVER ? - Trying to decide !

@z1r wrote:

Is the RN42200-100NES( Amazon) suitable for use as a home based unit for file sharing /media streaming mp4 /mkv etc /light backup using a Windows 10 

Yes.  Though at the moment you'd get the RN424 for $100 more (current US amazon prices) - if the budget will stretch to that, I'd suggest getting the extra bays.  Then keep at least one bay empty for future expansion.

You can enable the built-in DLNA server for streaming, or install the Plex server.  Of course you can also play the files directly with Windows File Sharing.  One caveat is that it won't handle HD transcoding of your media (based on the Plex guidelines).  That would limit your ability to stream to an Android phone or laptop when you are away from home.

Note that while RAID is useful, it is not enough to keep your data safe.  The best way to do that is to keep a backup on another device - for example on external USB drive(s).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN42200 SUITABLE FOR HOME USE AS WINDOWS 10 FILE SHARE AND MEDIA SERVER ? - Trying to decide !

Hi @z1r

Welcome to the Community!

RN422 will definitely go well with your LAN setup, This model is also one of the latest OS 6 units and will also be able to provide the performance you might be looking for. RN424 would also be advisable 🙂

RN400 series can be used for Home/Home office so you just have the right choice there.

Hope this helps! Happy New year!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@z1r wrote:

Is the RN42200-100NES( Amazon) suitable for use as a home based unit for file sharing /media streaming mp4 /mkv etc /light backup using a Windows 10 

Yes.  Though at the moment you'd get the RN424 for $100 more (current US amazon prices) - if the budget will stretch to that, I'd suggest getting the extra bays.  Then keep at least one bay empty for future expansion.

You can enable the built-in DLNA server for streaming, or install the Plex server.  Of course you can also play the files directly with Windows File Sharing.  One caveat is that it won't handle HD transcoding of your media (based on the Plex guidelines).  That would limit your ability to stream to an Android phone or laptop when you are away from home.

Note that while RAID is useful, it is not enough to keep your data safe.  The best way to do that is to keep a backup on another device - for example on external USB drive(s).

Message 3 of 5
z1r
Aspirant
Aspirant

Marc_V, HAPPY NEW YEAR and thanks much for your replySmiley Happy . Helps me move forward with descision. (sic)

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 4 of 5
z1r
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB , HAPPY NEW YEAR Cat Happy Thanks fror the reply. Clears up my thinking and allows me to make a choice. Not really concerned with streaming video to Android but will definetly be atttempting in house streaming to laptop etc Android file downlod etc. Thanks agin also for the additional suggestions.!Smiley Happy

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements