× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN424 NAS number of users streaming video using Plex

Jkennedy2135
Initiate

RN424 NAS number of users streaming video using Plex

I have a readynas 424 utilizing link aggregation with a gigabit Netgear switch. I changed the encoding to prefer higher speed and recently upgraded my connection speex to 100/10. Currently, I have 3 users invited to my NAS. Would all of us be able to use it at once, and if so, how many users could?
Thank you all very much in advance.
Joe
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If you are all running remotely, then you are sharing a 10 megabit connection (since the video is running over the uplink). That gives you about 3 megabits each.  That will create issues when all three of you are watching HD content at the same time. 

Most of my 720p content is in the 5-6 mbps range, 1080p runs 10 mbps and up. 4K is at least 20 mbps - so you won't even be able to watch one 4K stream remotely.

Of course if you are local, you'll be able to watch anything over ethernet. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are all running remotely, then you are sharing a 10 megabit connection (since the video is running over the uplink). That gives you about 3 megabits each.  That will create issues when all three of you are watching HD content at the same time. 

Most of my 720p content is in the 5-6 mbps range, 1080p runs 10 mbps and up. 4K is at least 20 mbps - so you won't even be able to watch one 4K stream remotely.

Of course if you are local, you'll be able to watch anything over ethernet. 

Message 2 of 3
Jkennedy2135
Initiate

Right on, there's one more package available as an upgrade through the only provider in my area. That's 120/20. After this billing cycle I guess I'll have to spring for it and turn the quality down some.
Thanks for responding man. Praying for Verizon FiOS to come in the area someday
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements