× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN424 System Using 12tb

Pridevea
Follower

RN424 System Using 12tb

Hi, I just purchased the RN424 and installed four 10tb HDD's. I have not used the server yet and it's showing me that 27tb is free. Can anyone tell me why the system is holding 13tb. It's almost like I wasted $300 on a 10tb harddrive. Is there any way to change this to free up more space? Thanks

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN424 System Using 12tb

There are three things in play:

1.  You likely left the NAS in XRAID mode (which is best), so one drive is used for RAID5 redundancy, not additional storage space.

2.  Drives are sold in increments of TB (multiples of 1000) but the NAS (and Windows, and pretty much every operating system) reports capacity in TiB (multiples of 1024).

3.  There is a little bit of space taken up on each drive for formatting, the OS partition, and the swap partition.

You have the proper amount of space for that drive configuration, plus redundancy so you don't lose all your files when a single drive fails.  With that much space to have to restore, that's a good thing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements