× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 End of life and failure scenario

nickjames
Luminary

RN516 End of life and failure scenario

Hello,

I'm buying a used RN516 from a client of mine, that I've managed throughout the years and I had a few questions-

1.) When does the RN516 go end of life?

2.) In the event that unit had something fail hardware wise, that *wasn't* related to the actual hard drives, how easily can your RAID be swapped/moved into another RAID device (NOT a ReadyNAS device)

Is the only solution to question 2.) is to rely on your backup in a catastrophic event (unrelated to hard disks)?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 End of life and failure scenario

The hardware warranty is not transferable, so the end-of-life doesn't really apply to you.  As far as manufacturing goes, the RN516 has already been replaced with the RN526x.

Note that Netgear won't provide software support for used ReadyNAS either - with the exception of data recovery services.

Message 2 of 4
nickjames
Luminary

I was not really concerned with the hardware warranty as the device was originally registered to me and is under warranty until 2018 so there's not much time left anyways.

I was more trying to find out how much longer the operating system will be upgraded and if new features will be implemented.

Also, generally speaking, if the device were to fail, how does one move the array to another device that is not a ReadyNAS? Is this easily done?

Thanks, @StephenB

Nick

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:

I was more trying to find out how much longer the operating system will be upgraded and if new features will be implemented. 

No signs of deprecating OS-6, and they are continuing to introduce new OS-6 platforms.  So you are safe on that for the forseeable future.

@nickjames wrote:

Also, generally speaking, if the device were to fail, how does one move the array to another device that is not a ReadyNAS? Is this easily done?

It is straightforward if you have an x86 linux system that has btrfs installed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements