× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 Migrating to new hard drives

x219c
Luminary

RN516 Migrating to new hard drives

Hey all, I'm looking to migrate to some new hard drives on my RN516. Is there an easy way to move my users, settings, shares, etc?

My idea and setup:

- Starting with two NASs'. A 516 and 316. Both have an EDA500 expansion chassis attached. I use the 316 as a backup to the 516. The 516 is populated with 11 4TB drives. 

The plan is to move all of the drives to the 316, then install much larger drives into the 516, then migrate everything back over from the 316 chassis.

What I've done so far:

I did a configuration backup before doing anything... Then I shut both machines down, removed the drives from the 316 and set them aside. I moved all of the drives from the 516 to the 316 and started it up. Everything went perfectly. I then put the new drives in the 516, set them to raid 6, and allowed the resync. I used the same name for the volume. The only difference is, I won't be using the eda chassis for the time being. Drives are expensive, and the drives I purchased should hold me over for quite a long time.

I went to restore the configuration, and it doesn't work. It says the shares don't match. I went through and manually set them back up, but got the same error again. I went into the config file to see what was there, and it's seeing the volume from the eda chassis. I tried to modify the backup by moving the shares to the correct volume, and going from there... No dice... 

Is there any way I don't have to do all of the setup again manually? Ideally, it'd be fantastic if I could migrate the apps and everything as well; but I'd settle for getting everything else moved over at this point.

Thanks for any help.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless), RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 Migrating to new hard drives

I've never had an EDA500 chassis, but I believe you ran into trouble because you didn't export the two EDA500 volumes before you powered down the two NAS.

You might try swapping the two EDA500s now - if that works, then you could export the volumes, and swap them back. 

@Sandshark has some experience with these, so hopefully he will chime in.

Message 2 of 5
x219c
Luminary

Thank you Stephen. 

I didn't explicitly say I moved the eda to the 316, but it's over there now. It's setup as an exact copy of the setup in the 516 chassis.. just quite a bit slower. Going forward, I'll leave that setup in place and it'll be the new backup destination. 

I had looked at the exported config fie, and it contained the eda volume. And since I can't precisely mimic the setup, I went ahead and exported all of the settings but the volume settings from the 316 (old 516 setup). For some rason, it still didn't work. I tried exporting the settings one-off and still no luck. At this point, I'm starting to transfer data while I'm working on the other problem. 

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The EDA500 is not a stand-alone unit, it's an extension of the main NAS.  So when you move "all" the drives, that includes those in the EDA, too.  Your 316 still remembers it has an EDA volume that is currently missing.  Also, even though you believe your two EDA volumes are clones, they are not.  They have internal identifiers that are different, and your NAS knows the one originally from the 316 is not the right EDA volume to match the main volume moved from the 516 and vice-versa.

At this point, you either need to move the drives from the 516's EDA-500 to the 316, move the whole EDA that was on the 516 to the 316 and then EXPORT the EDA volume or DESTROY the EDA volume on the 316 (saying goodbye to access to the files it contained).  Then you can download the configuration and it will upload to the 516 with the new drives because the EDA volume has been removed.   If you want to be able to re-gain access to the EDA files, then do the EXPORT and when you add the EDA back (to either system) and power up, it will automatically IMPORT.

There actually is a trick to re-gain access to the files on an EDA that was not properly exported by putting the drives in the main NAS, but it is best to avoid that situation.

Message 4 of 5
x219c
Luminary

Thank you Sandshark.

I think I’ll give the export a try. That may solve my issues getting the settings to import, and other ideas.

As far as file access, I’ve been doing pretty good there. I didn’t actually move the drives from the eda, I just plugged the unit into the 316. I don’t have anything plugged into the 516 (no eda, etc. just the drives in the main bays). That said, after transferring some shares at around 100mb/sec, I decided I’d try to move them to the eda, then connect the eda to the 516 and continue restoring from there. I believe, even if it’s sata 300, it should be much faster than 1gig Ethernet. Your advise will help with that as well, it’s looking like.

So in summary: the current situation is that all of my volumes are working and transferring. I’ll give these suggestions a go and report back.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements