× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

AVANZA
Aspirant

RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

I have a readynas 516 with 3 x 1TB disks working fine but we need more space.

Can I add a pair of 2TB disks to the existing array or am i best adding 3 1TB disks to keep the disks the same size?

Do the WD red work ok in this unit FW 6.6.1

 

Thanks in advance 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@AVANZA wrote:

I have a readynas 516 with 3 x 1TB disks working fine but we need more space.

Can I add a pair of 2TB disks to the existing array or am i best adding 3 1TB disks to keep the disks the same size?

 

Either way, you will end up with a capacity of 5 TB (~4.5 TiB).  Costs are pretty close in your case (three WD10EFRX are about $180, two WD20EFRX are about $170).

 

I'd go with two larger disks, and leave one spot free for future expansion.  You might consider a larger pair though. Two WD30EFRX would be about $250 and get you an extra TB of capacity.


@AVANZA wrote:

 

Do the WD red work ok in this unit FW 6.6.1

 


Yes.  

 

Message 2 of 13
AVANZA
Aspirant

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

thanks for the swift response,

So the disks dont need to be the same size as the existing disks when adding to the storage?

 

I may put a pair of 3TB in there.

Message 3 of 13
lundmilo
Luminary

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@AVANZA wrote:

thanks for the swift response,

So the disks dont need to be the same size as the existing disks when adding to the storage?

 

I may put a pair of 3TB in there.


No, the discs doesn't need to be the same size as the existing discs. As long as the new discs are at least the same size as your existing discs you are good to go.

 

In your case any disc that is 1 TB or larger will do just fine.

 

And yes WD Red are very suita le fot NAS use. I have 2 x 2 TB at the moment and when I need to expand I will go Red again. Probably 3 or 4 TB.

 

Message 4 of 13
AVANZA
Aspirant

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

sorry to be a pain, 

if I add a pair of 3TB disks i will get an additional 6TBish of storage, the NAS won't just use and see 1TB as per the origional disks.

 

Thanks again 

 

Message 5 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

Here is a neat calculator: http://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

3x1TB + 2x3TB (XRAID) -> 5.43TiB of capacity.

 

EDIT: (3TB HDDs, not 2TB HDDs - facepalm)

Message 6 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

This is what you're going to get:

 (https://i.imgur.com/ee2ZbPO.png)

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@jak0lantash wrote:

This is what you're going to get:

 (https://i.imgur.com/ee2ZbPO.png)


Exactly.  Both partitions are joined into one volume, and you have single redundancy (protection from a single disk failure).

Message 8 of 13
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

Just to be clear 5.43TB is what the OP will have in total (less what is already used on the array) after adding 2 x 3TB new disks

i.e. not what will be added to the existing array

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@bedlam1 wrote:

Just to be clear 5.43TB is what the OP will have in total (less what is already used on the array) after adding 2 x 3TB new disks

i.e. not what will be added to the existing array


Yes. If he adds 2x3TB, his total volume size will be 6 TB.  (or ~5.4 TiB using the NAS units).  The remaining 3 TB is needed for redundancy, since one of the 3 TB disks might fail.  No space is wasted.

Message 10 of 13
AVANZA
Aspirant

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks

 

I think I will go for 2 x 3TB so they get a total usable space of 5.43TB i am right in saying this will be presented as single volume?

Message 11 of 13
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@jak0lantash wrote:

Here is a neat calculator: http://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

3x1TB + 2x3TB (XRAID) -> 5.43TiB of capacity.

 

 


@AVANZA you can calculate sizing using the above link provided by @jak0lantash previously

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 adding 4th and 5th disks


@AVANZA wrote:

 

I think I will go for 2 x 3TB so they get a total usable space of 5.43TB i am right in saying this will be presented as single volume?


Yes (as I already said).  With XRAID your existing volume will expand from 2 TB (~1.8 TiB) to 6 TB (~5.4 TiB).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4104 views
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements