× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 stuck at "Retry Restart" on LCD

wolfgangcc
Aspirant

RN516 stuck at "Retry Restart" on LCD

Rebooted RN516 after moving it between shelves, on startup it gets stuck and gives me a "Retry Startup" on the LCD. RAIDar locates the device and gives me a "Management service is offline". Tried restart from RAIDar and error repeats. Diagnostics finds no errors and is unable to download logs. Running Firmware 6.7.5 and all drives check out good; using 6 WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZNO 3TB.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN516 stuck at "Retry Restart" on LCD

Your 4GB root volume was full with a 2.4GB Photos folder. I've copied this to your home share for the admin user.

It's important to configure apps etc. to store data on the data volume.

This is not an issue which a firmware update would have resolved, so trying USB Boot Recovery would have been pointless.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried power-cycling the NAS?

Message 2 of 9
wolfgangcc
Aspirant

Yes, it will reboot, go though about 83% and then i start seeing services names come up on the screen and then it stops altogether and says retry restart.

Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello wolfgangcc,

How about turning off the NAS and reinsert the disks to their respective bays then power it back on?

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
wolfgangcc
Aspirant

So i gave that a try and it booted back up to a Retry Restart within 30 secs.

Message 5 of 9
wolfgangcc
Aspirant

So if I try reloading the OS...is there anyone who has a known good USB drive brand/size that works, tried this once a year ago and was unsucessfull with the USB drives i had.

Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There have been some updates to USB Boot Recovery over the past year. There was a beta version (not sure if production yet) that has some improvements that means it should work in more different situations than previously.

However this error doesn't suggest USB Boot Recovery is likely to help unless you're using it to update the firmware and only then if that firmware update has a fix for the particular issue that caused that LCD error that fixes systems that have already run into it.

We'd need more information (e.g. some logs) to identify the cause of the error in your case.

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your 4GB root volume was full with a 2.4GB Photos folder. I've copied this to your home share for the admin user.

It's important to configure apps etc. to store data on the data volume.

This is not an issue which a firmware update would have resolved, so trying USB Boot Recovery would have been pointless.

Message 8 of 9
wolfgangcc
Aspirant

Its working great now thanksfor all the help!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements