× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN51600 – ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay, Diskless won't boot any longer

tino19625
Tutor

RN51600 – ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay, Diskless won't boot any longer

Hello folks -

Came to my PC to discover that the NAS 516 wasn't accessible and had an error code of "MOUNT_BLOCK_ROOT+25" - I searched the forum and saw this issue already.  I created a USB recovery boot drive and was able to get past the previous error.  Since the USB recovery, I'm now getting the error below and I can't see it all, so not sure what the problme is with the raid.  All I see in the display is:

ERR: Could not n

ount root RAID c

I booted into menu and tested the drives, appear to be OK, tested memory too which appears to be OK... the appliance is no longer under warranty and I really need to recover the information from the RAID [2] WD RED 6.0 TB [SATA / 64MB Cache WD60EFRX].  I am OK with purchasing something new - just need some insight on what options I have to retrieve the data off of these drives, what I should purchase, etc...  Appreciative of any help so I can act quickly tomorrow.

thanks!

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Although it is out of warranty, you can still get paid support.

Also, if you purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you have lifetime chat support at my.netgear.com.  So take advantage of that if you have it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Although it is out of warranty, you can still get paid support.

Also, if you purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you have lifetime chat support at my.netgear.com.  So take advantage of that if you have it.

Message 2 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

Hi Stephen,

I did purchase between those dates and checked warranty for the   device - it's covered for chat - is that done via this channel or somewhere else?

thanks

Message 3 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

would anyone know if I purchased an RN3138 could I retrieve the data from the existing HD that I mentioned earlier? 

thanks!

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@tino19625 wrote:

it's covered for chat - is that done via this channel or somewhere else?

You'd use my.netgear.com for that.

@tino19625 wrote:

would anyone know if I purchased an RN3138 could I retrieve the data from the existing HD that I mentioned earlier? 

thanks!

It is possible to migrate disks from an RN516 to an RN3138.  Whether your volume would mount or not if you did that is another matter. 

I am a bit puzzled by the "RAID [2] WD RED 6.0 TB [SATA / 64MB Cache WD60EFRX]" bit in your original post.  Can you provide more information on the the disks in the NAS (number and model), and the number and type of RAID volumes you've set up? 

Message 5 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

Sorry for the confusion, I have a lot of information on those drives and really need to retrieve it - regretting not backing up to the cloud.

I have 2 drives installed in the ReadyNAS 516 and the system setup the RAID, I don't know much more than that

the drives are labeled

6.0 TB

SATA / 64MB Cache

WD60EFRX

NASware 3.0

WWN:50014EE2B5FF7B1B

DATE: 01 DEC 2014

DCM: HBNNHVJMAB

DCX: 0M1VYA6MH

5VDC: 0.60A

12VDC:0.45A

R/N: 800001

I submitted a reqest for support on the my.netgear.com but haven't heard back yet and assuming it's due to day/time - yesterday being Sunday in the US.

Appreciate an insight to either get the NAS functional or the information off of the drive/s

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@tino19625 wrote:

I have 2 drives installed in the ReadyNAS 516 and the system setup the RAID, I don't know much more than that

Then the system should be running RAID-1. The two disks are mirrored.  One possibility is that some cached writes got lost when the system crashed - then the volume could be out of sync and wouldn't mount.  It's also possible that the disks have failed - you could try downloading the full log zip file, and look for errors in system.log and kernel.log.

If you want to use paid Netgear support (or the free live chat), then you should do that first - and not attempt to fix anything while you are waiting.  Trying to fix it on your own runs the risk of making the data harder (or even impossible) to recover.

If you want to proceed on your own, you could try

1. powering down the NAS
  2. removing disk 2
  3. booting up in read-only mode using the boot menu

If that works, you should immediately back up all the files on the NAS.  If it fails, you could try it again with only disk 1 in place.  Make sure you power down the NAS before adding/removing the disks.

If those experiments fail, then you could try connecting the disk to a Windows PC, and trying ReclaiMe data recovery software.  It is free to try, but you would need to pay to recover any files.

Message 7 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

I REALLY appreciate the insight - I've been on a chat with Netgear's support and waiting on Level 3 support to contact me with trying to get into it.  The NAS is in Debug Mode with a code that I was told to leave alone - so I am, hopefully they can resolve this BUT, I do appreciate the time and information that I may need, depending on how this goes.

I'll update this and for sure, learned a hard lesson, as always about backing up to the cloud - I know better!

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@tino19625 wrote:

as always about backing up to the cloud - I know better!

I'll spare you my backup lecture then.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

Smiley LOL trust me, I've been working in telecom for 20+ years and have given that speech plenty of times which why it's embarrassing on my part -

for the record, so nobody else does this, when I created my USB recovery drive - I put in an older firmware version and I believe that that created my new issue with the RAID message - when I downloaded the firmware, I thought it was the latest; dangerous word being "thought" - an L3 engineer is trying to untangle the mess that I self inflicted... once completed I'll update this for future reference with the USB recovery drive.

thanks for sparing me the "deserved" speech Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Let Netgear support help you as much as they can first.  Hopefully, they'll get you through the problem.

If you did downgrade the OS via USB recovery, that can cause issues if you go back beyond the first decimal place (e.g. 6.10.x to 6.9.x or earlier).  But, since the NAS cannot mount the data volume, and if the downgrade is the cause of the new issue, it should still be intact and I would think that updating back to the version you previously had or earlier might fix it.

Recovering your data from cloud backup can be painfully slow.  So if Netgear can't help you, there are some things (what I said above, and maybe more) that might help you get the NAS back up and running or at least be able to create a local backup for faster restoration.  Just let us know if you need to try them.

Message 11 of 12
tino19625
Tutor

OK - this is completed BUT, so people know what I did wrong - as stated, my USB recovery disk had an older firmware on it and updating it to the current 6.10.3 didn't bring it back online.  Needed to pay for support to move the data over to an external USB drive [which was successful] and then once I had that, I just factory reset the NAS, currently setting it back up - with a much wiser attitude.

thanks for all the input on this one -

2 things, keep NAS on UPS and also make sure of a backup [some way, some how], it's too late "after the fact" to invoke these two critical pieces!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements