× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN524X00 Giving error message: "System volume root's usage is 100%"

ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

RN524X00 Giving error message: "System volume root's usage is 100%"

I have a RN524X00 with 4 2-TB hard drives in a RAID 10 configuration.

I was using 2.07TB of the 4TB volume to store videos and files, with a scheduled daily backup to a 4TB USB drive attached to the NAS and a nightly backup to CrashPlan.

After adding approximately 50GB of new files to the share, I began receiving alerts that said the system volume root's usage is 100%.

I have looked at many other topics here to find a solution, but nothing that applies to my issue. I have only rudimentary skills in SSH and am looking for some guidance on how to resolve this.

Message 1 of 15
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN524X00 Giving error message: "System volume root's usage is 100%"

Hi @ChronosGlitz

Welcome to the Community!

System volume/OS root volume is different from the Data volume where you store your videos and files. This do not typically gets full, common issue why it gets full are Apps installed on your NAS that uses the OS volume to store data instead on the Data volume.

I would recommend contacting NETGEAR Support to get assisted on resolving this issue especially if you are not comfortable working with SSH. If this is a brand new unit then you will have 90 Days phone support available or you may opt to purchase Support contract.

You can login to my.netgear.com and log a case so an expert will be able to assist you on this issue and get it resolved/

Hope this helps!

Regards!

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ChronosGlitz wrote:

...and a nightly backup to CrashPlan.

Did you install CrashPlan on the NAS?  If you did, that is likely what is causing the full OS partition - in particular the CrashPlan cache can easily fill it.

If that's the issue, you can create a new cache folder on the data volume, and replace the current cache folder with a soft link to the new location.

Message 3 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

I do not have CrashPlan installed on the ReadyNAS, it's installed on a network machine.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

If you aren't comfortable with ssh, then the best way to resolve this is to use paid support via my.netgear.com.

The other approach is to do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS from scratch and restore the data from backup.  

Message 5 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

I am comfortable enough to enter basic commands in SSH and am looking for someone to help me figure out what is filling up my root volume. I am not willing to go nuclear and do a factory reset with a restore until i've exhausted all of my options.

I've run the df -h command with the following results:

mse6.PNG

Can anyone recommend next steps?

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The basic process to figure out where the space is going is outlined here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN314-FW-6-7-1-root-partition-full-...

Once you figure that part out, post back.

Here's a sample from my NAS, to give you some idea on about how much space should be used in the top level folders.  Note your's won't exactly match (even if there was nothing wrong).

root@NAS:~# mount --bind / /mnt
root@NAS:~# cd /mnt
root@NAS:/mnt# du -d1 -h
6.4M    ./bin
0       ./boot
24K     ./dev
11M     ./etc
0       ./home
33M     ./lib
4.0K    ./lib64
0       ./media
4.6M    ./opt
0       ./proc
24K     ./root
0       ./run
11M     ./sbin
0       ./srv
0       ./sys
0       ./tmp
199M    ./usr
586M    ./var
0       ./mnt
0       ./data
0       ./apps
39M     ./frontview
887M    .
root@NAS:/mnt#

Message 7 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Okay, I followed the instructions from that page but I just don't see what the large files are that are causing the error. Here are the results:

mse2.PNG

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

does df /mnt -h still show the volume as full?

Also, are you seeing any large files in the root (e.g. /mnt)?

Message 9 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Here are the results of df /mnt -h:

mse7.PNG

I don't see any large files in the root. If I am using 3.5G of the capacity of the root, why does the previous command only show 1.5G worth of files?

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ChronosGlitz wrote:

I don't see any large files in the root. If I am using 3.5G of the capacity of the root, why does the previous command only show 1.5G worth of files?

That is the question.  

It's possible that there are large hidden files in the root. Did you try ls /mnt -alh ?

Perhaps also run btrfs fi df /mnt and post what it gives you.

Message 11 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Okay, i have tried both commands:

mse8.PNG

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Did you migrate your disks from an arm platform (RN100 or RN200 series)?

Message 13 of 15
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Yes, I migrated from an RN104 to an RN314 in 2017 and then to an RN524 in 2018.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ChronosGlitz wrote:

Yes, I migrated from an RN104 to an RN314 in 2017 and then to an RN524 in 2018.

Ok, that explains why the OS partition is ext instead of btrfs.  The arm platforms use ext when they create the OS partitions, and the migration process doesn't change that.  The x86 platforms use btrfs.

The challenge here is that we can see that the OS partition is full, but we can't locate the files that are making it full.  I am thinking that there might be some file system corruption on the OS partition.  The best thing to do now is probably to back up your NAS and do a factory reset (though that is painful).

Paid support (my.netgear.com) is of course another option, though they might also end up recommending a reset.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements