× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN524x all SSD

DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

RN524x all SSD

Just wanted to see if anyone has experience replacing all drives with SSDs in this unit?

I currently have 4x 250GB SATA HDDs in RAID10 (yeah.. I don't really care much about storage capacity, this is enough for me) but with SSD prices so low I was thinking about replacing them with SSDs instead.

Like the Crucial BX500 240GB is only around 25€ on Amazon so 4 of them would be really cheap, but not sure how good these cheap SSDs would be in a NAS?

My NAS is mostly used for temporary workflows, it's an NFS datastore for an ESXI machine and I'm also running Plex to share some media. I'm not really suffering performance wise as far as I know but I like the idea of being able to push even harder and SSDs being slightly more power efficient and quiet.

Just looking to see if anyone else has experience running their NASes with all SSDs, especially the cheaper kinds?

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Wanted to add as well that the device is powered on 24/7 but idle most of the time. Workflows are so random that I can't really schedule power, I need it on at all times.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I haven't deployed SSDs in my own NAS (though I likely use ReadyTier in the future).  So I have no advice on what risks you'd face if you don't follow the HCL.

But I would say that I don't see much reason for you to use RAID-10 with the SSDs.  I'd consider using a pair of 500 GB drives myself, and keep two open slots free.  In addition to keeping some slots open for future use, it would be easier to recover data (if needed) if you stick with RAID-1.  One Crucial MX500 is about the same price as two BX500s.

Message 3 of 4
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Thanks for your input @StephenB.. In regards to recovering data it's not a big deal, losing data is not a big deal, just a slight inconvencie (but can be fixed in <24 hours) - however the drives dying early would be annoying so I care more about that.

Maybe I'll consider 2x 500GB SSDs and keeping 2 of my current HDDs, could be an idea.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements