× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN526X with 6x 4TB WD Red PRO. What should I set up this time, my 3rd readynas.

ynohtna
Aspirant

RN526X with 6x 4TB WD Red PRO. What should I set up this time, my 3rd readynas.

This was a bit unscheduled since I was thinking to just upgrade my pro pioneer drives!  However, the pro pioneer appears to have died and I think it's the raid controller causing things not to boot.... Anyhow.  So I await my rn526x tomorrow to hopefully see my pro pioneer data to pull off the drives.

Also I've found a good enough deal for me and bought 6x 4TB WD Red Pro drives.

Historically, I always max out all the bays and never change it.  My readynas NV+ still runs as a double back up of important files from my pro pioneer.

The pro pioneer was a huge upgrade from my NV+ and I maxed out the drive bays with 6x2TB RE4-GPs...

Both times I just went with xraid cause at the time all the talk about best flexibitily and what not I guess.

I've been reading some topics here but feel I need to ask for myself 🙂 

This time, what should I do... don't bother with xraid? go straight to raid 10?  There seems to be some controversy in the forums about raid10 speeds but not sure if it's still applicable today.  It's highly unlikely I'll be playing with individual drive sizes, I like to set it and forget it... I was going to replace all the drives in the pro pioneer but the box unexpectedly died. 

I use it for storage and I while I did dabble with iscsi on the pro pioneer for VMs I didn't really stick with it and opted for raid 0 arrays on local machine.  Would probably like to revisit iscsi and hyper-v again on this new nas.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN526X with 6x 4TB WD Red PRO. What should I set up this time, my 3rd readynas.

I think you'll get excellent performance in any of the common RAID modes - likely network limited unless you upgrade your overall network to 10 gbit.  Maybe start by sizing the storage you think you'll need, and work backwards.  

You have 10 TB now on the Pre BE.  RAID-10 would give you 12 TB.  Dual Redundancy gives you 16 TB, Single Redundancy gives you 20 TB.

Message 2 of 8
ynohtna
Aspirant

Re: RN526X with 6x 4TB WD Red PRO. What should I set up this time, my 3rd readynas.

Really?  The CPU so strong now that it's only limited to my network?  Say I do go 10gbe, which is faster?  Can't wait to see what transfer rates I can actually acheive.  Melt my switches lol.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Here's an old review of the RN516 that has benchmarks for RAID-5, RAID-6 and RAID-10 - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5927/netgear-readynas-516-6-bay-nas-review/index8.html

When I compare the three charts, they look essentially the same to me. The RN526 has a faster CPU than the RN516, and there have been changes in OS 6 to improve performance since this review was published.

@ynohtna wrote:

Really?  The CPU so strong now that it's only limited to my network?  

For sustained (large file) transfers, that is the case.  The gigabit ceiling is about 125 MB/sec.

Of course the disks can also be a bottleneck, An RN 526 with SSDs would certainly give faster numbers on some of these benchmarks.

@ynohtna wrote:

Say I do go 10gbe, which is faster?  Can't wait to see what transfer rates I can actually acheive.  Melt my switches lol.

Based on this RN716x review, RAID-10 will be fastest.  http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/32418-netgear-readynas-716-reviewed?start=1

Though I think all are fast enough that you should be basing your choice based on the storage you need and the redundancy you want.

As far as redundancy goes, RAID-6 protects against all combinations of 2-drive failures.  RAID-10 protects against some 2-drive failures, but not all.

Message 4 of 8
ynohtna
Aspirant

Thank for that

so do I force it as raid6 or xraid will decide it for me?... or?

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

X-RAID uses RAID-5 by default. So you would have to disable X-RAID, backup your data, destroy the volume, create a RAID-6 volume (best to call this "data" - no quotes) and then re-enable X-RAID.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

X-RAID uses RAID-5 by default. So you would have to disable X-RAID, backup your data, destroy the volume, create a RAID-6 volume (best to call this "data" - no quotes) and then re-enable X-RAID.

If you haven't done the install yet, this can be done quite quickly.  You don't have to wait for the initial X-RAID volume to be fully built / synced. As soon as you get through the initial setup you can disable XRAID and destroy the volume.

I think if you have 5 disks installed, you can also switch to flexraid and then add the last disk for redundancy (with no data loss). 

Message 7 of 8
ynohtna
Aspirant

Yea my drives are still enroute so I have the opportunity to decide the best option and set it once right from the beginning!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements