× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN626X Firmware upgrade problem

wulidancing
Aspirant

RN626X Firmware upgrade problem

I noticed my RN626 indicated a new upgrade was available about 10 days ago.  I went ahead and clicked on the upgrade button and didn't think about it until today when I noticed that timemachine backups were not executing.  I went and looked at the front panel and "booting..." was displayed, which I assume has been displayed for the past 10 days.  I shut off power, held the reset button and never got to the boot menu.  It was never offered, the RN626 just went back to the "booting..." message.  I've tried this several times, pulled the power plug and waited 30 secs, held reset button in, plugged in and powered up holding the reset the entire time.... nothing, just back to the "booting..." message.  Anyone have a suggestion?  Does this have to do with the most recent firmware upgrade?  I'm completely stuck, this thing is acting like a brick.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN626X Firmware upgrade problem

FWIW, you don't need to post serial numbers here unless a mod requests them.

Try powering down the NAS, and remove all the disks (labeling them by slot).  Then power up the NAS, and see if it reports a "no disks" status.  Also check with RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads ) - it should also discover the NAS and report a no disks status.

If that fails, then the issue is with the NAS chassis itself - so you should contact paid support (my.netgear.com).  I'd request an RMA - they will validate that request, and if possible fix your NAS remotely.

If you do see the "no disks" status, then the problem is on the OS partition on the disks.  So try an OS reinstall (which partially reinstalls the OS from the NAS flash memory).  Pages 146-147 in the hardware manual give you the procedure: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

The OS reinstall doesn't affect your data, but it does modify a couple of configuration settings. It will

• reset the NAS admin password to password
  • reset the NAS network configuration to use DHCP, and disable NIC bonding.  
  • Turn off quota on the volume settings wheel.

Let us know if that helps.

Message 2 of 6
wulidancing
Aspirant

I removed the disks, after power down, powered up and the panel reports the same message, "booting....".  I cannot ping the RN626X nor does raidar locate the device.  The Lan1 ethernet lights are lit, but that doesn't help anymore than the front panel displaying "booting...".

I will contact support.  Thanks for the timely followup.

-d

Message 3 of 6
wulidancing
Aspirant

Spoke with support for about 2 hours, could not get the USB recovery disk working because they think there is a bug in the the NetGear recovery tool. After exhausting all options they are sending me a new chassis next day air.  While I don't appreciate the time it took to solve the problem I do give a 'attaboy' for the manager that decided the process was taking to much time for the customer and tech support and approved a new chassis expeditiously.  Looks like I stumbled into a problem bug that hopefully will be addressed in a newer version of the USB recovery tool.

-d

Message 4 of 6
BradStyve
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem.  I upgraded the operating system a few weeks ago and rebooted a day or so ago and it just says booting...  I can't get it to go into menu mode either.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 5 of 6
zeke561
Guide

This seems to be pretty common. I had the same issue trying to upgrade to 6.10.0,  and they eventually sent me a replacement under warranty. I'm guessing that if you can't get to the boot menu it is probably toast.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements