× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN716x shows "Memory Error" with single 16GB module

Campus
Apprentice

RN716x shows "Memory Error" with single 16GB module

I've tried to run my 716x with a Micron MT18KDF2G72AZ (https://memory.net/product/mt18kdf2g72az-1g6-micron-1x-16gb-ddr3-1600-udimm-pc3l-12800e-dual-rank-x8...) module but the RN716 only shows the message Memory Error.

It's an unbuffered DDR3 module with ECC so it matches the specs. What could be the reason this module does not work?

Thanks!

Model: RN716X|ReadyNAS 716X Chassis (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN716x shows "Memory Error" with single 16GB module

@Campus wrote:

Could you make any statement about how noisy a 626x ...  is compared to a 716x? The 716x is currently used in a really quiet environment and not noticeable at all.

I don't own either model, but there is some info on the datasheet.  https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/ReadyNAS_RN620.pdf

• RN716 Noise level: <28dBA @ 30C
  • RN626 Noise Level:  <24.9dBA @ 30C

The RN626 falls into the "all other models" category on the datasheet.

So the RN626 should be slightly quieter.  That might not translate into the user perception of the noise (as that does depend on the noise characteristics).  Also I don't think those noise levels include the disks.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the RN620 series also is limited to 16 GB of ECC RAM.  Note that upgrading the RAM isn't supported in desktop ReadyNAS, and installing it can void the hardware warranty.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ctechs
Apprentice

My guess is it's not compatible with 16GB modules. Did it ship with 8GBx2 originally? The spec sheet for it says it came with 16GB so I imagine if it came with 8GBx2 that's also the maximum it can handle.

Message 2 of 7
Campus
Apprentice

Yes it ships with 2x8 but the CPU can handle 32GB so it's disappointing that this is not possible because of the board design.

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Campus @ctechs

Upon checking with the team. RN716X is limited to support upto 16GB. It seems that there was a restriction in the DRAM rank or ECC Configuration. This is the possible cause why the 16GB modules are not properly working with the NAS.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 7
Campus
Apprentice

Thanks a lot for researching this. Really sad to hear that this nice machine cannot be extended.

Could you make any statement about how noisy a 626x (I guess the 626x supports more memory?)  is compared to a 716x? The 716x is currently used in a really quiet environment and not noticeable at all.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Campus wrote:

Could you make any statement about how noisy a 626x ...  is compared to a 716x? The 716x is currently used in a really quiet environment and not noticeable at all.

I don't own either model, but there is some info on the datasheet.  https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/ReadyNAS_RN620.pdf

• RN716 Noise level: <28dBA @ 30C
  • RN626 Noise Level:  <24.9dBA @ 30C

The RN626 falls into the "all other models" category on the datasheet.

So the RN626 should be slightly quieter.  That might not translate into the user perception of the noise (as that does depend on the noise characteristics).  Also I don't think those noise levels include the disks.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the RN620 series also is limited to 16 GB of ECC RAM.  Note that upgrading the RAM isn't supported in desktop ReadyNAS, and installing it can void the hardware warranty.  

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the RN620 series also is limited to 16 GB of ECC RAM.  

Turns out I am wrong on this. The RN520 and RN 620 series can take 64 GB.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/528x-ram-memory-upgrades/m-p/1410769#M17...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements