× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNAS Duo-"Access to disc on ch. (??) producing I/O Errors

afveep_aol_com
Aspirant

RNAS Duo-"Access to disc on ch. (??) producing I/O Errors

ReadyNAS Duo: I received a msg on December 24th that the disk on Ch. 2 had failed. I replaced it with a brand new disk (Dec. 28), identical to that in drive 1 and on the approved list (WD 2002FAEX 2TB). It did a RAID Sync and log said it was then up and fully redundant. Today I started to receive messages "Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon." Note that it does not identify a disk "(??)". I shut down the NAS, re-seated the drives, powered up and did a Raid Sync. The Raid Sync started but then I received the same pop-up I/O message on channel "??". While it is possible that the brand new drive is bad, I think its unlikely and don't want to go buy yet another HD if there's something wrong with the NAS.. Although the NAS is on, I now cannot access it via RAIDar or via Finder on my Mac- not sure if that's due to a RaidSync that may be running? I'd have to pay $75 for Netgear support- half of a new NAS. Any thoughts or help? Thanks!

Here is log:

Severity Date Message Thu Jan 15 14:09:51 EST 2015 A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime. Thu Jan 15 14:06:35 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Thu Jan 15 14:06:30 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Thu Jan 15 13:16:54 EST 2015 RAID sync started on volume C. Thu Jan 15 13:10:59 EST 2015 System is up. Thu Jan 15 13:08:11 EST 2015 System powering off... Thu Jan 15 13:03:24 EST 2015 RAID resync failed to start. Please contact Support. Thu Jan 15 10:48:38 EST 2015 A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime. Thu Jan 15 10:44:35 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Thu Jan 15 10:44:34 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Thu Jan 15 10:44:28 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Thu Jan 15 10:44:26 EST 2015 Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon. Sun Dec 28 22:16:13 EST 2014 RAID sync finished on volume C. The volume is now fully redundant. Sun Dec 28 12:58:34 EST 2014 RAID sync started on volume C. Sun Dec 28 12:58:29 EST 2014 Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 2. Wed Dec 24 20:35:42 EST 2014 The disk on channel 2 has failed. The NAS will automatically shutdown in 30 minutes to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives. Wed Dec 24 20:27:39 EST 2014 System is up. Wed Dec 24 20:27:35 EST 2014 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 4 Current count: 5 Disk 2 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible. Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk. Wed Dec 24 20:26:11 EST 2014 RAID sync started on volume C. Wed Dec 24 20:13:23 EST 2014 The disk on channel 2 has failed. Shutting down the system to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives. Wed Dec 24 20:13:22 EST 2014 The disk on channel 2 has failed. Shutting down the system to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives. Wed Dec 24 19:47:26 EST 2014 A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime. Wed Dec 24 19:43:12 EST 2014 The disk on channel 2 has failed. The NAS will automatically shutdown in 30 minutes to prevent possible data loss resulting from additional failed drives.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RNAS Duo-"Access to disc on ch. (??) producing I/O Error

If you download your logs what does your disk SMART log look like? Please remove the disk serial numbers before posting it.
Message 2 of 4
afveep_aol_com
Aspirant

Thank you. The NAS is running but is now completely unresponsive. It was doing a RAID Resync but it dropped off RAIDar yesterday and a Rescan didn't find it. The power is up but I could not power down by the button on the NAS- just stays on. There was no sign of disc activity. I unplugged the NAS and powered back up. It seems to come up normally (got the improper shut down log message), then started a RAID Sync again last night. This morning I found the same thing- off RAIDar, unresponsive, could not shut down. Nots rue where to go from here.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Power down
2. Remove the disks (label order)
3. Connect them to a PC and test them using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos