× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND 2000 v2 remote access

William_rnp
Aspirant

RND 2000 v2 remote access

Hello there!

So it's 2021 and I have this ReadyNas Duo v2.

After struggling a lot I managed to properly install it and access to it on my Macbook running OS Catalina.

I even entered the dashboard page and enabled Remote Access. 

But then I found out that Ready Cloud doesn't work with my Nas model and Remote Access Desktop just doesn't exist anymore.

Now the QUESTION is: when both my Macbook and my Nas are connected to my office local network I can upload files and view them but how in the good name of Jesus can I access them remotely, say when I'm home? There is no client, no app, no nothing, at least that I can easily find on the web.

Please help me. It's almost 5am in Italy and I can't sleep.

Thanks,

William

Model: RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND 2000 v2 remote access

@Sandshark wrote:

If you have opened port 22 and a range of passive ports to the outside world, then you should be be able to directly address the NAS at your static IP from outside: ftps://your.ip.goes.here:22

The NAS uses explicit FTP over TLS, and by default it would be listening on port 21 (not port 22).

As @Sandshark says, it is a bit better to use a non-standard port (configuring that in the NAS).  As far as passive ports go, I suggest 4 per simulaneous connection.  If you only expect to use your PC (and are the only remote user), then you'd only need 4 passive ports.

Non-standard ports are best allocated from the private/dynamic port range - which is 49152-65535.  So you could (for example) configure the NAS to use 54321 for the control port, and 54322-54325 as the passive ports.  If your FTP client requires masquerading, you'd also need to configure the NAS to use your router's static IP address as the masquerade.  Or (as I've already suggested), use FileZilla - which doesn't require masquerading.

Then you'd reserve an IP address in your router for the NAS (so it always has the same IP address).  And forward TCP ports 54321-54325 to your NAS IP address.  Unfortunately I'm not seeing your router's manual when I search for it, so I can't help with that.

If you do use filezilla, then you'd create a site that specifies your router's static IP address, and which is set to use port 54321.  Also, configure the connection to "require explicit FTP over TCP"

@Sandshark wrote:

A VPN would be a better plan.

Totally agree.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@William_rnp wrote:

There is no client, no app, no nothing, at least that I can easily find on the web.

Correct.

There are two basic methods that can be used. But if you don't have control over your office router, you'll need to move the NAS to your home network to use them.  You might also need to upgrade your home router, if it doesn't have the needed features.

Both would require setting up DDNS service for the router that the ReadyNAS is connected to.  There are a couple of free options for that - Netgear builds in a free one in many of their routers.  NoIP (among other companies) also offers a free DDNS service.

The best method is to use a VPN.  This would require a router that supports openVPN.  There is a free openVPN app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.

You could also enable FTP on the ReadyNAS, and forward some ports in your in your router to allow it to connect.  But this isn't very secure - so while it is possible, I don't recommend it - especially with a legacy NAS that is no longer up to date on security patches.

BTW, what firmware is your ReadyNAS running?

Message 2 of 13
William_rnp
Aspirant

@StephenB Thanks for your quick reply!

My ReadyNas is running RAIDiator 5.3.13 firmware.

I enabled FTP-SSL opening port 22 with user authentication.

Also this time, I'm only able to access file when I'm on the local network.

If I try to access remotely from a different I.P. address the FTP client gives me a connection timeout.

Under Server I put my ReadyNas host name (for example the URL would be something like ftps://william-nas:22).

And after that my user name and password.

So it works, but again, not remotely. Maybe I got something wrong with the FTP connection.

Thanks a lot,

William

Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

william-nas is only known to devices on your local network.  You missed a very important step from @StephenB 's response:

Both would require setting up DDNS service for the router that the ReadyNAS is connected to.  There are a couple of free options for that - Netgear builds in a free one in many of their routers.  NoIP (among other companies) also offers a free DDNS service.

Then you will have a public IP address and URL that point to your router that you can access from outside your network.  You'd have to use that identification instead of william-nas.

Message 4 of 13
William_rnp
Aspirant

@Sandshark That's right, I forgot both actions were required. My bad.

I will set up a DDNS service and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

William

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You will also need to configure and forward passive ports for data transfer.

Some FTP clients will require masquerading to be configured.  If you use that, then you'll only be able to use FTP when you are remote.  Filezilla is one client that doesn't need masquerading.

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I forgot to mention that if your office has a static IP assigned by your internet provider (commercial accounts often do) with or without a URL also assigned, then you don't need the DDNS service, just use that static IP.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I forgot to mention that if your office has a static IP assigned by your internet provider (commercial accounts often do) with or without a URL also assigned, then you don't need the DDNS service, just use that static IP.

Just want to add that is only relevant if @William_rnp has control over the office router (and can therefore leave the NAS in the office).

Message 8 of 13
William_rnp
Aspirant

Hello guys @StephenB @Sandshark 

Thanks for your continuous help!

Yes, I have control and access to my office router. I can login into the router interface to do port mapping as well. 

I'm pretty sure it's a static IP address.

And yes, I leave the NAS in the office.

Do you guys have a guide for port mapping in this case? I tried yesterday but I felt kind of lost.

I don't know if I have to write down the NAS IP address or the router IP address. I have very little experience in this.

The router is also Netgear, GS series.

Thanks a lot,

William

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@William_rnp wrote:

The router is also Netgear, GS series.

What specific router model?

The "GS" products I am aware of are switches, not routers.  Though some of those switches do have routing functions, I don't think they support NAT or port forwarding.

@William_rnp wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a static IP address.

If you don't deploy DDNS, then you want to be certain, not "pretty sure".  Your provider will be able to tell you.

Message 10 of 13
William_rnp
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Sorry, you were right. The GS product is just a switch. My router is a Technicolor MediaAccess FGA2130FWB, with a static IP (confirmed).

So, that means I don't need a DDNS anymore? 

How port mapping works in this case? Could you walk me through?

Thanks a lot!

William

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have opened port 22 and a range of passive ports to the outside world, then you should be be able to directly address the NAS at your static IP from outside: ftps://your.ip.goes.here:22

Note that port 22 is one that anyone looking for holes is going to probe, so this is, IMHO, not the recommended solution for a business.  A VPN would be a better plan.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The NAS uses explicit FTP over TLS, and by default it would be listening on port 21 (not port 22).

As @Sandshark says, it is a bit better to use a non-standard port (configuring that in the NAS).  As far as passive ports go, I suggest 4 per simulaneous connection.  If you only expect to use your PC (and are the only remote user), then you'd only need 4 passive ports.

Non-standard ports are best allocated from the private/dynamic port range - which is 49152-65535.  So you could (for example) configure the NAS to use 54321 for the control port, and 54322-54325 as the passive ports.  If your FTP client requires masquerading, you'd also need to configure the NAS to use your router's static IP address as the masquerade.  Or (as I've already suggested), use FileZilla - which doesn't require masquerading.

Then you'd reserve an IP address in your router for the NAS (so it always has the same IP address).  And forward TCP ports 54321-54325 to your NAS IP address.  Unfortunately I'm not seeing your router's manual when I search for it, so I can't help with that.

If you do use filezilla, then you'd create a site that specifies your router's static IP address, and which is set to use port 54321.  Also, configure the connection to "require explicit FTP over TCP"

@Sandshark wrote:

A VPN would be a better plan.

Totally agree.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements