× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND2110 Duo v2 won't email or accept password after factory reset

tomswell
Aspirant

RND2110 Duo v2 won't email or accept password after factory reset

On trying to revive Nas i replaced bad drive and have done factory reset multiple times without success. on set-up  testing email fails and after "congratulation / success" dialog an admin password dialog shows but wont accept carefully recorded/entered password and name as entered.

I done the reset 3 times, erased Safari browser cash, very frustrating.

Model: RND2110v2|READYNAS DUO v2 (1TB: 1 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

@tomswell wrote:

Valid user name, password, and email address fail when tested within set-up dialog?

whereas when same is used to utilize mail app authentification works.

I have checked the advanced smtp settings.

So, you made no changes where the NAS automatically filled in the SMTP info for alerts from the password recovery info, and the test works there?  That is odd.  I don't use email password recovery on any of my NAS, and my DuoV2 is really just there as a reference to answer questions, so I have no experience there.  If it works from alerts, I should think that it would really work when it needs to for password recovery.  And the Change Admin Password pop-up doesn't have a button to test any change in recovery email, so you can't re-test it.

Which email service are you using?

The DuoV2 is rather old and the firmware is dated, but I would not expect that to adversely affect this.  Is it likely you'll ever need password recovery?  An OS re-install will reset the password to the default, so you always have that as a fall-back if the email really doesn't work.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
tomswell
Aspirant

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm a bit confused by 

@tomswell wrote:

carefully recorded/entered password and name as entered.

because the name for the GUI is "admin", which I would not expect you to need to record.  Are you trying to use the email address as a user name?

You can, of course, create other user names for file access.  But those are not done as a part of intial set-up.

Message 3 of 9
tomswell
Aspirant

after factory default  reset. first entry into set-up windows  is default " admin / password " after which prompting for name, email , email password , test email (which fails) , username , new password , email again , security question & answer  .... not sure thats all ....    save  .... ending in a congratulation dialog.

after which prompting for name &  password occurs again.  I have done this sequence several times without sucess.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The only user name the setup asks for is your user name at the email server you will use for password recovery.  The admin password remains "admin", and the password is whatever you set it to in the start-up (on the screen that asks for that, not the one for the recovery email user name and password).  You must add NAS users from the Dashboard once you have completed the initial set-up..

You appear to be confusing the password recovery email info with NAS user info, which is probably also why your email test fails.  If, for example, you select AOL as your email provider, then you put in your AOL user name and password so the NAS can send you the password recovery information, should you forget your password.  The NAS has no built-in email server, so it has to use one to which you already have access.  But that is in no way associated with a NAS user name.

The reason it's asking you to log in again as "admin" is you changed the password but the browser still has the default one stored,.

Message 5 of 9
tomswell
Aspirant

Indeed , when I used "admin" instead of user name I finally got access to dashboard & setup .

so  now I have a handle on the dashboard but ...

Valid user name, password, and email address fail when tested within set-up dialog?

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@tomswell wrote:

So, you made no changes where the NAS automatically filled in the SMTP info for alerts from the password recovery info, and the test works there?  That is odd.  I don't use email password recovery on any of my NAS, and my DuoV2 is really just there as a reference to answer questions, so I have no experience there.  If it works from alerts, I should think that it would really work when it needs to for password recovery.  And the Change Admin Password pop-up doesn't have a button to test any change in recovery email, so you can't re-test it.

Which email service are you using?

The DuoV2 is rather old and the firmware is dated, but I would not expect that to adversely affect this.  Is it likely you'll ever need password recovery?  An OS re-install will reset the password to the default, so you always have that as a fall-back if the email really doesn't work.

Message 7 of 9
tomswell
Aspirant

"Admin" got me in and I have access now 🙂

after 14hrs  the drives are churning away having invoked transfer of 200 GB music files the night before ?

Xraid2(redundant)   Dashboard indicates  263MB free  of  449MB

why so much disk activity ?

I've done my discovery and want to send it off to my inlaw who never got it to work primairly due to password confusion.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@tomswell wrote:

why so much disk activity ?

Is the volume resyncing?

BTW, what firmware are you running?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies