× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND2110v2 / max capacity HDD ?

Didier31F
Tutor

RND2110v2 / max capacity HDD ?

Can't find the min & max configuration for a NAS RND2110 v2

Do I need to install TWO identical HDD ?

May I install more than 1 To HDD ?

Thx

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

One challenge here is that the labeling on these old NAS can be very confusing - and we need to correctly identify the platform before we can answer your questions.

1. Does your Duo run 4.1.x firmware or does it run 5.3.x firmware?
  2. Does your Duo say "ReadyNAS Duo" on the front panel or does it say "ReadyNAS Duo v2"

Message 2 of 5
Didier31F
Tutor

All my questions are for resolving THE problem is that I can't see the NAS and its HDD trough RAIDar. I got many problems before, to install RAIDar on my MacBookPro (13" touchbar under MacOs Mojave).

Original firmware was 4.1.6 as shown by a sticker under the box.

The NAS is a RND2110v2 (but I bought it without HDD), the "v2" appears also under the box, but not on its face.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Didier31F wrote:

The NAS is a RND2110v2 (but I bought it without HDD), the "v2" appears also under the box, but not on its face.

As I said before, the labels are confusing.

You have the original Duo (which we call the v1 here).  The v2 on the label means that you have hardware version 2 of the Duo (v1).  That was just a small hardware update - nothing to do with performance.  Netgear really messed up when they launched the Duo v2 platform later on, and lots of people are confused about what they have.

@Didier31F wrote:

All my questions are for resolving THE problem is that I can't see the NAS and its HDD trough RAIDar.

To answer your original question, the NAS can accept 2 TB drives (but nothing larger).  However, you might need to upgrade the firmware in order to use the full capacity.  After you manage an initial install, let us know what firmware is actually running. (It shipped with 4.1.6, but likely that was updated by the original owner later on).

You don't actually need RAIDar - if you can see the NAS IP address in your router, you can browse to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real NAS IP address of course).  Note you can't do this if the NAS is diskless - you need to have disks installed.  It could take a while (15 minutes or so) after powering up the NAS with blank disks before you can reach the web ui. You will need to click through security warnings to get into the NAS web ui.  When you get the log-on prompt, the username is admin, and the password is netgear1.

Your NAS was discontinued by Netgear back in 2011 (and the most recent and final firmware was 4.1.16 - released in 2017).  Lots of things have changed since then.  Your NAS only supports a deprecated version of SMB (SMB 1), and AFAIK that isn't supported by the current macOS.  You'll have to use AFP.

Documentation for your NAS can be found here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RND2000v1_(ReadyNAS_Duo_v1).aspx#docs 

Message 4 of 5
Didier31F
Tutor

Thxs for those explanations. Il choosed a simple solution : bought two HDD 1 To, initialize them by reset button, and use an older version of RAIDar.

and it works well ! As I find time to, I'll try better solutions...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements