× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND2120 v2 won't boot up - can I just put the drives in a different model?

kierenj
Aspirant

RND2120 v2 won't boot up - can I just put the drives in a different model?

Are ReadyNAS in the same/similar category just going to accept the 2 drives in this one fine?  Any restrictions?

Model: ReadyNAS RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND2120 v2 won't boot up - can I just put the drives in a different model?

We need to be clear about exactly what model you have - the labeling is confusing.

A Duo v1 

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • has a part number that ends with -100XXX (XXX is either NAS or a geographic code)
  • might say v2 on the rear label

A Duo v2

• runs 5.3.x firmware
  • has a part number that ends with -200XXX
  • will say v2 on the front of the chassis

Usually there is a label on the rear that will give you the firmware that the unit shipped with.

One we know with certainty what platform you have,  we can provide the options.

Message 2 of 4
kierenj
Aspirant

On the front: ReadyNAS Duo

On the back: Mac address, serial number

On the underside/bottom: ReadyNAS Duo (RND2120) v2, additional sticker stating FW: V4.1.6

No part numbers anywhere I can see

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Before you proceed - can you give us more details on what is happening when you boot your NAS?  It's possible that the boot issue can be resolved.  If you are seeing a blinking light pattern, this information might help:

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

@kierenj wrote:

On the front: ReadyNAS Duo

On the underside/bottom: ReadyNAS Duo (RND2120) v2, additional sticker stating FW: V4.1.6

That's a v1.   The v1 platforms were discontinued in 2011, so anything you purchased used would be at least 7 years old.  The drives could be directly migrated to another duo v1 or and nv+ v1.  But you can't directly migrate to any newer platforms (v2, x86 legacy, or OS 6).

The simplest way to offload data is to install R-linux for Windows on a Windows PC ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ ).  Then connect drive 1 from the duo to the PC using either SATA or a usb/sata adapter or dock.  Then copy the data files to external storage. 

Another possibility is to purchase a new OS 6 NAS and use paid netgear support for this.  They can remotely mount your current disks temporarily, so you can offload the files.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements