× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND4000 v3 firmware upgrade

SuryaVL
Aspirant

RND4000 v3 firmware upgrade

I have an RND4000 v3 ReadyNAS that is still on SMB1, wich is an issue on Windows 10. So I want to upgrade the firmware so I can use SMB2 or higher.

I have a laptop that lets me connect to the device, but I can not enter the admin because I don't remember the credentials I set over 10 years ago. I also can't reset the password with the password reset page because the things I enter also don't match what I entered 10 years ago.

One way of resetting the password proposed in the manual is to upgrade the firmware.

All upgrade scenarios I see require me to connect to the admin page to perform the upgrade.

How do I perform a firmware update if I can't enter the admin page for the device?

Thanks for the help

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@SuryaVL wrote:

I have a laptop that lets me connect to the device, but I can not enter the admin because I don't remember the credentials I set over 10 years ago. I also can't reset the password with the password reset page because the things I enter also don't match what I entered 10 years ago.

FWIW, firmware updates don't reset the password.

Do the OS reinstall on page 23-24 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

That will reset the password to netgear1 and will also reset the network configuration back to DHCP.

Perhaps write the new password down, and tape it to the inside door of the NAS.

@SuryaVL wrote:

I have an RND4000 v3 ReadyNAS that is still on SMB1, wich is an issue on Windows 10. So I want to upgrade the firmware so I can use SMB2 or higher.

Current firmware for your NAS is 4.1.16, and it normally only supports SMB1.  There is a very old "experimental" SMB 2 included in the implementation, but you'd need to manually change the NAS configuration to use it (using ssh).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@SuryaVL wrote:

FWIW, firmware updates don't reset the password.

Do the OS reinstall on page 23-24 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

That will reset the password to netgear1 and will also reset the network configuration back to DHCP.

Perhaps write the new password down, and tape it to the inside door of the NAS.

@SuryaVL wrote:

Current firmware for your NAS is 4.1.16, and it normally only supports SMB1.  There is a very old "experimental" SMB 2 included in the implementation, but you'd need to manually change the NAS configuration to use it (using ssh).

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Current firmware for your NAS is 4.1.16, and it normally support SMB2.  There is a very old "experimental" SMB 2 included in the implementation, but you'd need to manually change the NAS configuration to use it (using ssh).

In case @StephenB  doesn't notice, he mistyped, meaning to say that your NAS normally only supports SMB1.

And in case you are thinking that he gave you the wrong instructions because you have a V3 and not a V1, that's not the case.  Netgear made a tremendous error is re-using the "V2" designation for a completely new NAS when they already had units with stickers that said "V2" and even "V3" due to minor hardware changes.  For the purposes of the OS and this forum, you have a V1.

Message 3 of 7
SuryaVL
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. I managed to update the firmware. How do I get support for SMB1?

Message 4 of 7
SuryaVL
Aspirant

SMB2 I mean of course. Why can't I edit my message?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@SuryaVL wrote:

Thanks for the help. I managed to update the firmware. How do I get support for SMB2?

There is a thread on this here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/How-do-I-enable-experimental-SMB2-s...

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@SuryaVL wrote:

SMB2 I mean of course. Why can't I edit my message?

Us regular users no longer have edit in the menu.  It used to be available for a short time after posting, but now does not exist.  I have no idea if it's intentional.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements