× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4250 Drive Upgrade Did Not Expand Volume

timtate13
Aspirant

RND4250 Drive Upgrade Did Not Expand Volume

've been combing the community for my problem for about 6 weeks and haven't been able to fix my issue, so I'm starting a new post.

I have a RND4250 that I expanded to 1MB of memory, and had populated with 4x 500GB drives. Firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.16. File attached is some screen shots of my system. I also tried to attached my log files, but got stripped away. This is a home NAS supporting 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

I'm at 96% capacity, so I'm well past the point of needing to upgrade my drives (no lectures please). I have the system backed up, mostly, using ReadyNASVault. In checking my backup today, I'm finding that only about 65% is backed up. It doesn't look like Vault adds to what was originally backed up. Now looking for new BU service. Moving on to my problem.

I purchased 2 WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 drives to replace drives 1 and 2. These have been inserted, 1 at a time, resynced, rebooted, and my system still acknowledges drives 1 and 2 as being allocated at 461GB, although recognizing that both drives are 1862GB. The system is configured as X-RAID and the status shows Redundant.

Since inserting and syncing the second drive, I've probably resynced at least 6 times and rebooted that many times as well, always coming up with drives 1 & 2 allocated at 461GB, X-Raid, Redundant.

As I've been writing this all down, I remember having difficulty unlatching both drive slots and ultimately installed drive 2 before drive 1. Would this be causing my issue? If so, would I need to reinstall the old drives, and then reinstall the new drives, drive 1 first, to fix this issue?

As you can see, I'm at a quandry!! What can I do?

Model: ReadyNAS RND4250|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4250 Drive Upgrade Did Not Expand Volume

Newer NAS can handle mixed drive sizes in XRAID, but your NV+ v1 can't.  In order to get it to expand you'll need to upgrade all four drives to 2 TB.

If the data volume was created a long time ago (before 4.1.7), you also might need to do a factory reset. 

Message 2 of 5
timtate13
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  I actually have a source for additional Red 2TB drives.

What will happen when I take the first of the remaining 500GB drives out.  Will the system recognize the larger drives in bays 1&2 and increase the capacity there, or will it really funk up my storage?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@timtate13 wrote:

What will happen when I take the first of the remaining 500GB drives out.  Will the system recognize the larger drives in bays 1&2 and increase the capacity there, or will it really funk up my storage?

When you replace the third, the array will resync, but storage will not increase.

You need to upgrade all four before the system will vertically expand the array.  After the fourth drive resyncs you will need to reboot.  That should trigger the expansion.

Another approach is to offload the files, and do a factory reset with all the new drives in place.  You should back up the data before this expansion anyway, as it is at more at risk whenever you replace or upgrade a drive.

Message 4 of 5
timtate13
Aspirant

OK, Looks like 2 new 2TB drives.Thanks for the info and help.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements