× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP2000 will not stay on

Donkoe
Aspirant

RNDP2000 will not stay on

My RNDP2000 will turn on, lights on network interface, but turns off after about 1.5 minutes.

I am unable to keep on long enough to troubleshoot.

Ideas?

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP2000 will not stay on

@Donkoe wrote:

My RNDP2000 will turn on, lights on network interface, but turns off after about 1.5 minutes.

I am unable to keep on long enough to troubleshoot.

What firmware is it running?

Was the onset of this issue sudden, or did you sometimes have issues with it locking up before?

Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you grab the log file before it shuts down to see if it's shutting down under control (shutdown is logged) or you ju st see the next power-on without a prior shut-down?

If it's uncontrolled, then a power issue could be it, it could be bad RAM, or it could be a (probably erroneous) indication of over heating.

If it's controlled, hopefully the logs will be informative as to why.

If it's a power issue, a new power brick might help, but I wouldn't put a lot of hope in that.

Message 3 of 11
Donkoe
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

i am not able to get into it (might be a bad process on  my part).

I  have it plugged into my network. I see the IP on my router, but I am unable to get to it via a BROWSER interface.

Is there some other preferred method.  

As an aside, I was able to see the data on the drive via RECLAIM software, so I know the data/drive is good.  It is just the devide. RAM is a good thought.  It was VERY DUSTY inside. I cleaned it out, but it could still THINK there is a heat issue.

If there is a good process for seeing logs, or consoling in, please advise.

Thank you again!

Don

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Donkoe wrote:

I  have it plugged into my network. I see the IP on my router, but I am unable to get to it via a BROWSER interface.

Again, what firmware is it running?  4.2.x or 6.x.x.????

Message 5 of 11
Donkoe
Aspirant

The onset was sudden.

I am unfamiliar with the device.  I am 'tech support' for family members, and this is one of those instances.

Message 6 of 11
Donkoe
Aspirant

I am unsure how to determine the firmware as I am unable to console in.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Donkoe wrote:

I am unsure how to determine the firmware as I am unable to console in.

Try installing RAIDar, and see if it will tell you.  It might also give you some useful status.

The Pro 2 would normally be running 4.2.x firmware.  If you try accessing the admin web ui with most browsers you will get an error (SSL protocol error or Cipher Mismatch).  That's because 4.2.x only supports TLS 1.0, which browsers are deprecating.  Internet Explorer will connect, you can also load an old version of FireFox (94.0.2 works).

The Pro 2 can be converted to run 6.x.x firmware - which doesn't have that issue.  But the owner would certainly know if they had done that.

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Just finding out if the unit will boot and stay running in Support mode could also be helpful.  You could also then FTP in, though collecting the logs in that mode isn't the easiest.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Just finding out if the unit will boot and stay running in Support mode could also be helpful.  You could also then FTP in, though collecting the logs in that mode isn't the easiest.

I don't believe the FTP server in the NAS is enabled in tech support mode.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

I don't believe the FTP server in the NAS is enabled in tech support mode.

My bad, I meant telnet in.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements