× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP2220 - 100NAS Wont' Power Up

Tomy51
Aspirant

RNDP2220 - 100NAS Wont' Power Up

After replacing the power supply, my ReadyNAS RNDP2220 just keeps cycling off and on. I checked the volatge and its good but the device just won't stay on.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

PTM

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

It is certainly possible that the inrush current of your failing drive was more than the NAS could handle, maybe more like "likely".  You may want to make sure your backup is up to date and wait a while to see you don't get any other 12V problems reported before you decide to replace the bad drive.  If there is something more wrong and you end up needing to replace the NAS, the backup will be needed and you may want to invest in bigger drives.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
dijkm88
Aspirant

What do you mean exactly with cycling off and on? Does it power on, and then turn off? What do the LED's do in the front?

Capture.PNG

Does it give you any of the above statusses?

Message 2 of 8
Tomy51
Aspirant

When its powered on the power light is blue, and the other LEDs are either on or blinking. When it powers down all LEDS go off.

I'm getting a log message stating that thre is an issue with the power, expecting 12v getting 10.67v. I have checked the power brick and its putting out a steady 12v. I have tried 2 new poer supplys with the same result.

11-13-2017 9-07-08 AM.png

Message 3 of 8
Tomy51
Aspirant

Well, as of 5 minutes ago I now have a dead drive.

Still doesn't answer the power off/on cycling.

Thanks for your help.... PTM

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

When you say the power brick is putting out a steady 12V, is that unloaded or under load?  Unloaded tests are not particularly helpful.  It certainly sounds like your NAS is drawing more than the 5A the brick is rated for, which is going to drop the voltage and cause who-knows-what issues.  The 5VSB power, which is created from the 12V and powers the NIC and power-on circuits, coming and going could certainly cause the unit to power up and down.  Whether that is a cause or symptom, I can't say; and Netgear has not provided any schematics to make troubleshooting easy.

Does it behave the same way without the drives loaded?  If it does, I'd say your NAS is toast unless you can open it up and find there is something inside shorting out a couple of pins..

Message 5 of 8
Tomy51
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the drives and the unit powers up just fine. I installed the one drive that is "healthy" and the unit is still powered up ok. Wonder if the drive that was going bad could have caused the issue along with a bad power brick?

PTM

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

It is certainly possible that the inrush current of your failing drive was more than the NAS could handle, maybe more like "likely".  You may want to make sure your backup is up to date and wait a while to see you don't get any other 12V problems reported before you decide to replace the bad drive.  If there is something more wrong and you end up needing to replace the NAS, the backup will be needed and you may want to invest in bigger drives.

Message 7 of 8
Tomy51
Aspirant

Thank you for your help and guidance. 

PTM

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation