× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP4000: HDD maximum limit?

Ravons
Aspirant

RNDP4000: HDD maximum limit?

Basically, I'm completely in the dark on what the maximum HDD capacity can be on this device.

At the moment it is running 6.9.5 and has 4 x 3 TB WD REDs.

I'm sure this question has been asked way too many times, but I just want to make sure before I decide to put in some 6 TBs or more. 😉

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Ravons wrote:

Basically, I'm completely in the dark on what the maximum HDD capacity can be on this device.

At the moment it is running 6.9.5...

There is no known limit for OS 6 systems.  So you could go up to 14 TB (largest shipping disks at the moment).

That said, a stock Pro has 1 GB of RAM - and currently shipping OS-6 systems all have at least 2 GB.  If you want to use the Antivirus service, File Search, or apps then I suggest upgrading the memory in your Pro.

Also, your NAS can fail at any time, so it is important to scale up your backups as you increase your primary storage. RAID is not a backup; it is not enough to keep your data safe.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Ravons wrote:

At the moment it is running 6.9.5...

There is no known limit for OS 6 systems.  So you could go up to 14 TB (largest shipping disks at the moment).

That said, a stock Pro has 1 GB of RAM - and currently shipping OS-6 systems all have at least 2 GB.  If you want to use the Antivirus service, File Search, or apps then I suggest upgrading the memory in your Pro.

Also, your NAS can fail at any time, so it is important to scale up your backups as you increase your primary storage. RAID is not a backup; it is not enough to keep your data safe.

Message 2 of 6
Ravons
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Fortunately for me, I pretty much use the NAS as a pool (attached via iSCSI initiator) for movies & series. So it's not really a backup solution, as I do not really need one.

Since the other functions are done through my standalone server, 1 GB will suffice. 

I do wonder how you can upgrade the RAM as I have not found a proper manual for it.

But atleast I can upgrade the NAS with more storage now! 🙂

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Ravons wrote:

I do wonder how you can upgrade the RAM as I have not found a proper manual for it.

It's pretty easy, as the memory slots are easily accessible.  You just need to remove the skin, and you'll see them.  One slot is empty, so you can move to 2 GB by just filling that slot.  You can bring it up to 8 GB if you replace both.   The memory is old tech - DDR2 (and 4 GB modules tend to be quite expensive). 

If you want more details on what memory is compatible, you can search this forum or just ask.

Message 4 of 6
bedlam1
Prodigy

The Readynas Pro 4 only has 1 Memory Slot, it is underneath the top cover

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

The Readynas Pro 4 only has 1 Memory Slot, it is underneath the top cover

Thx for the correction, I was thinking of the Pro-6.  So the max memory would be 4 GB.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements