× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP4000 dead can I move disks to a ReadyNAS NV+ v2?

readynasoz
Aspirant

RNDP4000 dead can I move disks to a ReadyNAS NV+ v2?

Hi there,

Long time readynas pro4 user here.  Had an electrical storm the other day a strike happened on or near my home (scared the hell out of me) and I heard a static electricity type sound in my office.  Couldnt work out what it was until I tried to access some files on the readynas.  Dead as a dodo.  Tried different power cables, sockets etc.. to no avail.  

The question I have is if the disks are in working order can I move them to a readynas NV+ v2 RND4000?  Will the data survive?

Cheers,

Tim

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP4000 dead can I move disks to a ReadyNAS NV+ v2?

@readynasoz wrote:

The question I have is if the disks are in working order can I move them to a readynas NV+ v2 RND4000?  Will the data survive?

No, that won't work.

@readynasoz wrote:

Had an electrical storm the other day a strike happened on or near my home (scared the hell out of me) and I heard a static electricity type sound in my office.  Couldnt work out what it was until I tried to access some files on the readynas.  Dead as a dodo.  Tried different power cables, sockets etc.. to no avail.  

I'd test the disks in a Windows PC (using vendor tools - seatools for seagate, dashboard for western digital).  Label the disks by slot as you remove them.

One puzzle is whether the failure is limited to the power supply, or if the system board also got fried.  The power supply can be replaced, the system board can't be.  If the disks have failed, the system board likely has too.  But if the disks are ok, the system board might have survived.  @Sandshark might have some troubleshooting suggestions on that front.

Options for off-loading data include

1. getting a used compatible NAS (anything that runs 4.2.x firmware natively).  Some of these might have been converted to run OS-6 though.
  2. getting an x86 OS-6 NAS - those will let you temporarily mount the the Pro's volume as read-only so you can offload the data.
  3. Getting adapter/docks to allow all disks to be connected to a Windows PC.  Then use RAID recover software (ReclaiMe for example).  Alternatively, install mdadm/btrfs beta open source - we can help with the commands needed.
  4. Similarly, getting adapter/docks to all disks to be connected to a linux PC (using mdadm/btrfs packages for linux).
Message 2 of 5
readynasoz
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed response @StephenB 

I didn't realise the sparc/x86 difference doh!.  

I'll check the disks out.  Provided they are ok (indicating that the system board might be ok).  What power supply would you recommend?  There are 350W psu's on ebay from KDM power their listing mentiones that they are direct drop in replacements.

Cheers,

Tim

@StephenB wrote:

@readynasoz wrote:

No, that won't work.

@readynasoz wrote:

Had an electrical storm the other day a strike happened on or near my home (scared the hell out of me) and I heard a static electricity type sound in my office.  Couldnt work out what it was until I tried to access some files on the readynas.  Dead as a dodo.  Tried different power cables, sockets etc.. to no avail.  

I'd test the disks in a Windows PC (using vendor tools - seatools for seagate, dashboard for western digital).  Label the disks by slot as you remove them.

One puzzle is whether the failure is limited to the power supply, or if the system board also got fried.  The power supply can be replaced, the system board can't be.  If the disks have failed, the system board likely has too.  But if the disks are ok, the system board might have survived.  @Sandshark might have some troubleshooting suggestions on that front.

Options for off-loading data include

1. getting a used compatible NAS (anything that runs 4.2.x firmware natively).  Some of these might have been converted to run OS-6 though.
  2. getting an x86 OS-6 NAS - those will let you temporarily mount the the Pro's volume as read-only so you can offload the data.
  3. Getting adapter/docks to allow all disks to be connected to a Windows PC.  Then use RAID recover software (ReclaiMe for example).  Alternatively, install mdadm/btrfs beta open source - we can help with the commands needed.
  4. Similarly, getting adapter/docks to all disks to be connected to a linux PC (using mdadm/btrfs packages for linux).

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The only reliable troubleshooting for something other than the power supply involves replacing the power supply first.  Instead of buying a compatible supply, you can fashion an adapter cable to connect a standard ATX supply externally, if you have one of them available.

Another part of the NAS that's highly susceptible to lightning damage is the NIC.  But you'd probably also see damage of the router/switch if that occurred.

Is your NV+ a "real V2" (has an external power brick), or one of the originals with the small "V2" marking?  If it's the latter, you can swap the supply into the Pro.

As for the KDM supply on eBay, it shows a rear-facing fan, and your unit has no place for that fan to exhaust.  So you should definately ask them some questions before you purchase.  The Pro4 unit power supply (which is the same as most legacy 4-bay units) is a flex ATX supply modified in two ways:  the wiring (only has the 20-pin connector, and it has a modified pin-out) and the cooling (no fan, has additional air vents and an air dam to force air circulated by the main fan through it.  You can re-wire the main connector, disconnect the fan, and swap the cover on a lot of Flex ATX supplies and basically make your own.

Message 4 of 5
readynasoz
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice @Sandshark .

I think check the disks using seatools & dashboard first, if the disks are OK I'll, consider either purchasing a new power supply (unfortunately I don't have a spare atx one) or sourcing a used compatible readynas.

If the disks are no good, I'll wite the data loss off and look at getting a new NAS.

Cheers,

Tim

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements