× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP400U suddenly crashing after 6 years of usage

RNDP400User
Aspirant

RNDP400U suddenly crashing after 6 years of usage

Hello

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (diskless)
Mounted with 4 hard drives. 2x2TB 1x3tb and 1x4TB(which were added about Jan 2018)
Version : 4.2.31 (latest?)

Running Raidx2 the 3 and 4tb functions as 2tb drives if i remember correctly

Its been working fine for about 6 years as a media center that i turn on and off at need, so it never just keeps running.

suddenly a few days back my NAS stopped responding completly, and not even able to shutdown normally, i had to force-shutdown (holding power button 5secs) to turn it off, or pull out power plug.
i can restart it right after, but it will randomly hit again after minutes or few hours.

now it is doing this all the time, and become quite useless, as i cant copy any larger files or watch a movie without it stops responding again.

I fear it might be Hardware error as force-shutdown is needed.
i have tried to look on forum for solutions but the few threads i see ends with no solutions.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-Pro-becomes-unresponsive-will-not-rebo...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Pro-Pioneer-6-5-1-NAS-becomes-unresponsive-afte...

They may be complete different errors but sounds like same issue

anyone have any clue or willing to help out?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP400U|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With X-RAID2 (single-redundancy) you add up the capacity of the disks and subtract the largest. Space can only be added when redundant space can be added.

Are you able to download the logs?

It could be a disk problem, it could be a bad/failing PSU, or something else. There's a range of possibilities. Without more info it's just a guess as to what the problem might be.

Is your backup up to date?

Message 2 of 10
RNDP400User
Aspirant

i have prior to my post downloaded a zip full of logs, if thats the one your thinking of.
which of them do you want?

i have no back-up in traditional sense. the raid is supposed to be the center of my files and backup if a drive goes faulty.
atleast thats what i was told by the salesman.

unless ofcourse more drives go faulty at the same time or fire happens or something like that.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@RNDP400User wrote:

i have prior to my post downloaded a zip full of logs, if thats the one your thinking of.
which of them do you want?

He wants you to email him the full zip file.  Instructions are here: https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

@RNDP400User wrote:

i have no back-up in traditional sense. the raid is supposed to be the center of my files and backup if a drive goes faulty.
at least thats what i was told by the salesman.

Unfortunate.  RAID isn't enough to keep your files safe - the only way to do that is back them up on at least one other device.

The NAS is great for file consolidation, and RAID does keep your data available during expansion and routine disk replacements. 

But devices do fail.  There are lots of folks here who have learned that the hard way - either seeing multiple disks fail in rapid succession, or having the NAS hardware fail in a way that results in data loss.  Hopefully you won't be one of them.

Message 4 of 10
RNDP400User
Aspirant

i have send the log files as requested 
i stopped trying to fiddle with settings yesterday to troubleshoot, as the nas would'nt stay on for longer then 2 minutes in the end.
I hope a long offline time will "cool it down" enough to work with again. i unplugged 230v as well as ethernet cable to make sure all components drain out.

@StephenB wrote:

Unfortunate.  RAID isn't enough to keep your files safe - the only way to do that is back them up on at least one other device.

The NAS is great for file consolidation, and RAID does keep your data available during expansion and routine disk replacements. 

But devices do fail.  There are lots of folks here who have learned that the hard way - either seeing multiple disks fail in rapid succession, or having the NAS hardware fail in a way that results in data loss.  Hopefully you won't be one of them.

isnt the whole idea that;
if you need more space - you expand.
if a disc fails - you replace it
if the equipment fails - you replace it

are you telling me that if the NAS hardware fail, then i wont be able to swap my disc's into another compatible readynas and continue as usual.

Troubleshoot options to speed it up a bit :

1. temp. removing 4tb recently added HDD. Since its running raidx2 removing 1 drive should let the system run fine, wouldnt it be a fast way to see if its because of a incompatible HDD??

2. If PSU if faulty i will replace, in that case i see you had some posts back a few years about where to get spares. any news on this front, or any mass produced compatible PSUs in the market?
i found the ones to about 100-120$ nearly being thievery.
if i can spend a few bucks already trying to replace just as a troubleshoot option i am going to do it as stores here provide 14 days of return-right by law

3. Open up Nas and inspect for damaged Capacitors (usualy caurse for IT equiptment breakdown)

What do you think??
Anyway i hope for the best.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@RNDP400User wrote:

isnt the whole idea that;
if you need more space - you expand.
if a disc fails - you replace it
if the equipment fails - you replace it

are you telling me that if the NAS hardware fail, then i wont be able to swap my disc's into another compatible readynas and continue as usual.

I am telling you that RAID provides highly available storage. It doesn't guarantee data safety.  You are underestimating the odds of data loss -  there are lots of ways you can lose your data.  If you don't have a backup plan, then it's a matter of when (not if) one of them happens to you.

For instance: 

• If you have an unexpected power failure, or otherwise an unclean shutdown (say a  system crash), then there can be cached writes that never made it to the disks.  The result is often file system corruption.  A data recovery service might help, but there is no guarantee that they will get all your data back. It's also expensive.
  • A power surge (often from a nearby lightning strike) can propagate through both your power lines and your ethernet wiring.  This can destroy all the electronic equipment it reaches  - not just the NAS itself, but the disks it holds.  Surge protectors help, but sometimes not enough.
  • A memory failure in the NAS can result in wrong data being written to the disks.  That can cause the same file corruption as an unexpected shutdown.
  • Usually we install multiple disks at the same time.  They are the same model, have near identical loads and are in the same environment.  As a result, it's not that uncommon for disks to fail in rapid succession.
  • And human error comes into play.  Accidental file deletion is the most common.  But there are many other mistakes - people here have sometimes accidently replaced the wrong disk.  The resync fails, and the volume is often lost.   In some cases here a person (or pet) tipped the NAS off a shelf, resulting in disk damage. Sometimes people just ignore disk health warnings until it's too late.
  • Fire, theft, flood, malware of course can result in data loss.

These are just a few possibilities, there are plenty more. In all of the above cases, migrating your disks to another NAS won't help.  Backups can.

@RNDP400User wrote:

1. temp. removing 4tb recently added HDD. Since its running raidx2 removing 1 drive should let the system run fine, wouldnt it be a fast way to see if its because of a incompatible HDD??

It was added 8 months ago - long enough back that it's not an obvious target. If the NAS wasn't booting up at all, then this approach is sometimes useful.  But in your case, I think the increased risk of data loss isn't worth the information you'd gain.  The risk here is that the RAID array will fall out of sync.  Then you will have lost your single redundancy protection. 

If you do try it, make sure you

• power down
  • remove the disk
  • power up skipping the file system check
  • avoid any writes to the file system when the disk is removed.

Then power down, and restore the disk.

Instead, look at the smart_log in the log zip file (or look at them by clicking on the disk icons on the disk health screen).  Look for reallocated sectors, pending sectors, unrecoverable errors, and ATA errors.  Increasing counts on most of these will also be shown in the main log.

@RNDP400User wrote:

What do you think??

I'd look in disk_usage.log before hardware troubleshooting.  Your symptoms could be caused by a filling OS partition.  The OS partition is on the disks, and is only 4 GB in size.  If that fills up for some reason, the NAS can start locking up intermittently, and get worse over time.

Look at the section that starts with this:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 1.2G 2.7G 30% /

md0 is the OS partition, and normally it is 25-30% full

@RNDP400User wrote:

What do you think??

If you have a spare disk (not in the array) you could also 

1. power down
  2. remove your current disks (labeling by slot)
  3. insert the spare disk
  4. power up and do a factory install

Then see if that setup has the same problems.  

Message 6 of 10
RNDP400User
Aspirant

im gonna try to get the most important out of it, on a external HDD. Most of the files can be obtained again, just gonna take a while.

So im gonna wait with the physical troubleshooting for now. as i can see in the "disk_smart" logs nothing (for me atleast) stands out to be faulty or making errors. all drives passes checks and shows 0 errors.

my OS disk usages is only at 15%

i have looked through all the others logs as well for unusuals, but again i dont really know whats usual so hard for me to see what im looking for but seems like nothing really seem differently then the logs that are, say 2 months old were it ran fine.

anything else i should be looking out for?

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

From a quick look at the logs it's not at all obvious what the cause of the problem is. This would lead me to suspect it could be a hardware issue of some kind whether a failing PSU, memory (RAM) issue or something else. There is a memory test boot menu option. A few passes of that test would give a good indication as to whether there's a memory problem or not.

Message 8 of 10
RNDP400User
Aspirant

im gonna give it a shot. what if the nas freezes while doing a test, would it cause any problems?

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The memory test is built into the boot loader, so it won't affect the disks.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements