× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP6000-100 CPU/RAM upgrade suggestions

pbsnpr
Aspirant

RNDP6000-100 CPU/RAM upgrade suggestions

I have a ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition, I believe it is the older model (RNDP6000-100) bought in 2008.  I bought it with a RAM upgraded to 3GB (I think DDR2 DIMM).  It currently has six, 1TB drives.

I rarely used it, only to backup personal files from time to time.  in 2019, the power supply died so i swapped it with a Corsair SF Series, SF600, 600 Watt, 80+ Gold and swapped the chasis fan with a Noctua NF-P12, 3-Pin Premium Cooling Fan, 120mm. 

Recently, I updated the BIOS from 08/20/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.5 to 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0; and updated FW from 4.2.31 to 6.10.6.

I have searched the forum reg. the CPU upgrade and found some have used Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz 1066MHz 3MB Socket 775.  I have read some using E7500 or E7600.  

I am hoping to use the NAS for a media/plex server.

Q1: which CPU would you suggest would be a best fit for the NAS?

Q2: should I keep the 2GB ram and swap the 1GB with another 2GB?

thanks!

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Either processor is fine.  The difference in performance is minimal, but so is the price difference these days.  Both can be had for under $10 on eBay.  I agree with @StephenB, go for the 4GB total RAM.  It's also dirt cheap on the used market.  CL4 memory will give a minor speed boost over more common CL6, and isn't that much more today.  But you'd have to replace it all to get that increase.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 21

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@pbsnpr wrote:

Q2: should I keep the 2GB ram and swap the 1GB with another 2GB?

I would.  Plex can use quite a bit of memory.

Message 2 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Either processor is fine.  The difference in performance is minimal, but so is the price difference these days.  Both can be had for under $10 on eBay.  I agree with @StephenB, go for the 4GB total RAM.  It's also dirt cheap on the used market.  CL4 memory will give a minor speed boost over more common CL6, and isn't that much more today.  But you'd have to replace it all to get that increase.

Message 3 of 21
pbsnpr
Aspirant

thanks @StephenB  & @Sandshark 

I just read the entire 12 pages of  More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

I don't know how to check which CPU mine has but I guess it's E2160 (1.8GHz).

I think I will go with E7600 as they all seem to be around $10 on ebay; and 8GB (2x4GB) total RAM.

As for the RAM upgrade, I need DDR2 PC2-6400 DIMM 800mhz, correct?

thanks

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@pbsnpr wrote:

As for the RAM upgrade, I need DDR2 PC2-6400 DIMM 800mhz, correct?

Yes.  Note most 4 GB sticks aren't compatible (and are expensive), so stick with 2 GB.

Message 5 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

The RAM needs to be non-ECC, unbuffered, 2Rx8 (aka "low density") not 2Rx4 (aka "high density" or "AMD only").  Since most PC's of that era were limited to 4GB of RAM, most of the 4GB sticks available are server ram, which is usually at least one of the "can't be's" on that list.  Unless you are transcoding more than one stream simultaneously, 4GB should be plenty.

Message 6 of 21
pbsnpr
Aspirant

thanks again @Sandshark & @StephenB
Message 7 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

I picked up a pair of these on eBay for $20 for one of my Pro 6. Work like a charm.

Crucial memory for Pro6.jpg

Message 8 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

EDIT. Looks like it is showing now.

Not sure why the picture isn't showing.

The Crucial Memory part number is :

CT51264AA667.M16FC

4GB DDR2-667 UDIMM 1.8V CL5

Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@MCEComputers wrote:

Embedded images are manually reviewed and approved before they are shown.  That can sometimes take a littlw while.

Message 10 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@MCEComputers wrote:

Embedded images are manually reviewed and approved before they are shown.  That can sometimes take a littlw while.

Okay, thanks. 🙂

Message 11 of 21
pbsnpr
Aspirant

thanks @MCEComputers !
Message 12 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

@pbsnpr wrote:
thanks @MCEComputers !

You're welcome.

I have two Pro 6 NAS. One is used to store videos from 3 security cameras recording 5 minute videos 24/7. This Nas has a Xeon X3230 which easily keeps up with the recordings and playing back the videos on one or two computers using VLC.

The second Pro 6 is used for backups pulled from my media/file server (Synology DS920+) as well as backups from all of the personal computers etc. around the house. This one has a Core 2 Duo 7600. Both NAS have 8gb ram.

Message 13 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, Crucial doesn't mark their RAM as to the number of ranks.  If it has 8 chips on each side, then it's usually going to be 2Rx8, but I've seen exceptions.

Message 14 of 21
pbsnpr
Aspirant

@MCEComputers ,

thanks for the info.  I bought the same synology for my personal files and retiring the Pro BE as a media server. 

from your post:

1. I didn't know I could use a Xeon processor.  I am curious if Xeon can be installed on the Pro BE motherboard.
  2. using your second Pro 6 as a synology backup, how are you doing this?  I thought you would need a second synology to use their backup app (hyper backup?).  maybe it is only if you want to backup to off-site...?  
  3. also, your RAM recommendation of Crucial CT51264AA667.M16FC, it appears to be a 667mhz stick.  do you see any performance issues or is 800mhz unnecessary?

thanks again!

Message 15 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

@pbsnpr wrote:

@MCEComputers ,

thanks for the info.  I bought the same synology for my personal files and retiring the Pro BE as a media server. 

from your post:

1. I didn't know I could use a Xeon processor.  I am curious if Xeon can be installed on the Pro BE motherboard.
  2. using your second Pro 6 as a synology backup, how are you doing this?  I thought you would need a second synology to use their backup app (hyper backup?).  maybe it is only if you want to backup to off-site...?  
  3. also, your RAM recommendation of Crucial CT51264AA667.M16FC, it appears to be a 667mhz stick.  do you see any performance issues or is 800mhz unnecessary?

thanks again!

It is my understanding that the newer versions of the Pro 6 BE can be upgraded to the Xeon X3230 (and others). You would have to check the model number and bios version to find out and I do not recall the steps to do this.

I use the backup system on the Pro 6 to pull backups from the Synology DS-920 using rsync. Hyper Backup on your Synology can send backups to your ReadyNAS. I used Hyper Backup for a while but I prefer being able to see the actual files on the backup destination after the backup completes and to be able to copy or move those files to another destination without have to use an app. If Hyper Backup is used to make your backups, it must also be used to restore files if/when they are needed. All three of my NAS are in my home office so no off site backups.

The Crucial RAM is 667MHz, but I can't say how that affects perfomance vs 800MHz. One of my Pro 6 was purchased with the 8gb, 667MHz RAM already installed so I bought the same RAM since I knew it would work and I found it for way cheaper that what I was seeing for prices, even for 2gb sticks. The other Pro 6 I upgraded from 1gb to 8gb before I actually ever used it. For my use I don't think the difference from 667MHz to 800MHz would even be noticeable.

Message 16 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

I know of no dual-core Xeon processor that will give you better performance in a 6-bay Pro than a Core2 E7600.  Quad core brings a whole new issue into the discussion because of too much heat dissipation for the stock cooling system.  The X3230 is only 2.66MHz, BTW, where the E7600 is 3.06.

The original ProBE/Pro Pioneer processors only ran the FSB at 667MHz, and the RAM was so matched.  But if you upgrade to a CPU with 800MHz capability (the highest the motherboard will go), then you will see some improvement with 800MHz RAM.

Message 17 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

For me, the Xeon X3230 seemed to improve the performance of the NAS over the E7600, even at the slower clock, possibly due to my use case.

I am recording videos and still pictures from three security cameras. Two of the cameras send the videos/pictures directly to the NAS via ftp. The third camera uses Synology Surveillance Center to capture the video stream and send it to the ReaydNAS via CIFS.All three cameras are recording videos 24/7 in 5 minute chunks. The two ftp cameras also take motion detection pictures.

With the E7600 CPU, there was a noticeable delay when playing back the recorded videos. With the X3230 CPU that delay has been reduced to less than half of what is was.

ReadyNAS shows the E7600 cpu running at an almost constant 39c/102f on balanced fan control.

ReadyNAS shows the Xeon X3230 with 2 core temperatures(for a quad core processor) running at about 35c/95f and 37c/99f and a CPU temp at 40c/104f on cool fan control.

Message 18 of 21
pbsnpr
Aspirant

thanks @MCEComputers  & @Sandshark the information you guys provide are very informative.

I need to study on how to enable synology backup using rsync.

Anyway, I was able to replace the E2160 1.80ghz (dual-core SLA8Z) with E7600 3.06ghz (core 2 duo SLGTD).  I do worry about the temperature issues, but I am unable to find a CPU heatsink/fan that could fit without modification.

I was not able to upgrade the RAM because they are either expensive or unavailable, so I am stuck with 3gb for now.  (I am searching for Crucial CT51264AA667.M16FC or Patriot PSD28G800K 2 x 4GB).

I may need to upgrade the hard drives soon.  Mine are 6 x 1TB and using XRAID I barely have enough space for my use.  I may start with 4 drives for now to reduce the heat.

How do I access cpu temp info?  via SSSH?

Message 19 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

Temperature should not be an issue with the stock fan and heat sink with the E7600 cpu. I did not like the noise from the stock fan(s) so I replaced them with these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7FSR6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083A0BIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't seen a big change in cpu temps, maybe 2 degrees (c).

You can see the current temperatures under the System tab -> Performance. Scroll down the page to see a chart of temperature over time.

4gb ddr2 sticks that work with the Pro 6 can be difficult to find and are usually expensive. The 2gb sticks are much more available at a decent price point. You can pick up one of the 2gb sticks to bump your machine up to 4gb total and try it like that while you are waiting for a deal on the 4gb sticks. You may find that Plex works fine with 4gb, depends on how many users you have accessing Plex and if you have a need to transcode files on the fly.

Message 20 of 21
MCEComputers
Apprentice

To enable rsync on Synology: Control panel -> File Services -> rsync tab

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements